Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Places to Eat

User Info Menu

Re: Places to Eat

Quote Originally Posted by 541lion View Post
    Iam making a promise to myself to make it to winnefred this time!! It was top priority last trip but never happened! The cook shops there stay open all year??

We very much enjoyed Winnefred. It's like baby negril with less hassle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brazz View Post
    Cynthias on Winnefred beach is very good. Also a few other restaurants there but haven't tried them.
    Used to be a bar and grill called Chill out on Long beach, last time I was there it was closed but not sure as of now
    Unfortunately Chill Out is closed...again. But if anyone is up to venturing to Long Bay, there is a nice spot about 1/2 past Chill Out, A bamboo restaurant & bar on the beach that sells great curried chicken and the rum was 120J a shot. Winnifred won't disappoint. Besides Cynthia's, there's a cook shop on the right painted red & yellow spots that sell fantastic soup. The best time to go to this beach is on the weekends when most of the shops are open.

User Info Menu

Are there still cook shops open during the week if a weekend isn't possible ?

User Info Menu

Yes, Cynthia's is open everyday and so is the other place I mentioned.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much vi! I love your trip reports!!

Are there any other restaurants In PA that one should not miss?? Some cheap but delicious food?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliment, 541lion . Although I’ve been slacking with the one I have posted now, putting up these short replies will get me moving on the thing…hopefully

Anyway, there are lots of places to eat all around Portland. However, unlike Negril where restaurants and cookshops are easily found on strips, Portland eateries are spread out. So you scope out what’s around you when you’re out. For example if you go to Winnifred, I recommend Cynthia’s. Go there as soon as you get to the beach to order your lunch a head of time. Let them know when you will be back.

When in town, I go to Piggy’s at the point in the road for that juicy jerk chicken or a large soup & festival. Or on the Marina where there’s Bikini Beach bar & grille that has pretty good hamburgers and the people who work there are wonderfully sweet.

I also say stroll the craft market in Port Antonio on the seaside in the evenings. The two restaurants, food at both is really good, are open daily, but you can find a lively crowd at night. One sells mostly local cuisine, while the other specializes in pizza. The set-up is really nice. I love the folks that run the bar back there.

Boston Beach got a nice facelift which includes a restaurant & bar. I haven’t tried that place yet but I have it on my list.

Woody’s is a not to miss place. The folks that run that place are gems and the food is always fresh and delicious.

Scotch Bonnet in the Match Resort Hotel has excellent food…breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I was there, they had two chefs. Michael does dinners and I tell you his seafood pasta was fantastic. I never had a bad meal there.

User Info Menu

541lion, there are a number of smaller cookshops I frequent, but unfortunately I can’t tell you how to find them because it’s usually at night, and post happy hour, when I go.

When are you going back?? I’m asking because if I go before you, I’ll take pictures of the different places I eat at and their menus/prices to post.

User Info Menu

When you say craft market are you talking about the new one along the beach I saw in your report? It wasn't there when I was last time.. Stoked to check it out! Seems less claustrophobic than the market market! Woodys is high on my list! Those buns look amazing!!

Iam headed back April 8th for my honeymoon!

User Info Menu

Honeymoon…sweet! Now I recall you writing so passionately about meeting the woman of your dreams, getting married and bringing your bride to Jamaica. I wish you all the best! I’m still deciding on two dates, but it looks like I will be back before you go so I’ll collect some info for you.

Yes, the six or seven little shops along the beachside with the little play area at one end. If you go, and I hope you do, you won’t be approached by the vendors. The management restricts them from calling people to their shops. You can stroll through at your leisure and buy only when and what you want. A wonderful woodcarver name Rock Bottom is set up there. He’s a sweetheart and very talented. Do visit him and check out his wares.

User Info Menu

I visited his shop when he was over at the big market.. Nice stuff for sure!

Yes any info would be greatly appreciated! Mostly interested in those cheap box meals! Eating for under 5$ is where it's at!! More money for rum and ganja lol..