Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Few Questions - First Time to Negril December 17-24

User Info Menu

Few Questions - First Time to Negril December 17-24

Hi All,

I have read pretty much every thread on this forum and the information has been awesome. I appreciate it. I have been all over the world, but in couple of months I will be in Negril, Jamaica for the first time.

Booked a $500 nonstop jet blue flight, and a 6 day 7 night stay at Merrill's I. It is an all-inclusive (very cheap with frequent flyer miles). I do not plan to spend much time at all on the resort, but I thought an all-inclusive would provide sort of a safety back-up for certain services given I will be a virgin over there.

My primary goals are a bit a conflicting - complete relaxation and crazy adventure. I am in the process of splitting my time accordingly, and again this forum has been really, really great.

Few questions for which I could not find answers - Other than trip adviser and a resort-created youtube video, I have found very little first-hand accounts of Merrill's all-inclusive. I do not need or expect luxury, but I would like a little more recent perspective on the staff, grounds, location, etc. One of the huge selling points was the beach and proximity to downtown/west end/cliffs. Has anyone here stayed there in the last few years?

Secondly, I would like to rent a bicycle and I can only find information about scooters or motor-bikes. What are the conditions/prices of bicycle rentals, what is the quality of the bicycles, and do most rental places or resorts offer these rentals? I would rather not take my own bicycle if I don't have to.

And lastly - and I really hope this is not inappropriate for the forum - I would like to *safely* try some of the local smoke, and from what I read it is readily available but its purchase can cause problems. Do people have advice in this arena? I know it's illegal and different countries have different de-facto/de-jure rules, but any general tips or warnings would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

User Info Menu

Hi Maz, PM sent to you.
    Rise early, treat everyday as though it's your last and your last day as it's your first.

User Info Menu

PMed ya too