Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Takin' the Newbies along...a trip report

User Info Menu

Re: Takin' the Newbies along...a trip report

I'm loving your style!! Your pictures are beautiful...what kind of camera are you using? Been back for a month now and I so miss it! Keep up the reporting I'm lovin' it. Maybe one of these days I'll get started on my report..

User Info Menu

There will be a slight delay in the continuation of my report. Work is insane for the next few days...look for the next installment(s) on Friday.

Maralunatic - Canon Powershot SX610 HS - the very one recommended by SLP.

[/url]

User Info Menu

Worth waiting for.

User Info Menu

Great report and wonderful pictures,we will be waiting for Friday,thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Hoping for some more of your "Newbies" impressions in the report - the wife and I will be arriving for our first time on the 7th. The anticipation is killing us......

User Info Menu

Yikes~ real life has gotten in the way. Sorry for the delay in updating! I'll try to get through a few days tonight....stay tuned!

Ok...so we had dinner at Alfreds (this was Saturday - day 2/ first full day). Dinner was great, service was quick, and a little more friendly as the night wore on. They weren't super busy as we were there during sunset. Fish and chips times 4 with a couple rounds of rum punches then off to Sunnyside on our way home for one more...or several hours more....you know how it goes.

Sunnyside is probably my favorite place to hang out. It's close to "home" so I don't have far to stumble...er, walk, and it's usually pretty chill. Well, again, we stopped for one and ended up with me sitting on the bar taking my picture (for my boss) with the Welsh flag hanging there. Sigh.

Name:  welsh on bar.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  67.9 KB

This night, we met a man carving off to the side. He was carving coconut and calabash. A kind soul, Tony. We chatted with him and a Jamaican couple. Oneil cooks at Coco La Palm and was telling us about the jerk chicken pizza. That certainly perked up our ears. Sounds like a great lunch stop later this week. Yeah man, we'll be down this week and look you up. Well, as if often does, time slips and slides away in a surreal way for me when in Negril. One minute is 8:30 and the next it's after midnight. We decide to call it a night - I can't remember if it was hubby and I and our friends or just hubby and I? It might have been just the two of us. Again, that slippery time things screws it up for me. Head back to the hotel and off to sleep.

**I just confirmed with hubby - in fact, Schaef (friend's hubby) and I were the last two standing tonight. I think we kept people confused during our trip. The four of us are great friends - and whoever was tired - went back - whoever wasn't - didn't. haha Hubby and Aims went back to their separate rooms (don't want any unnecessary speculation here) and Schaef and I stayed out...or vice versa - or hubby and I - or her and her hubby...or the girls....or the guys...you get the picture.

If anyone has ever stayed near Rooms, you will certainly be acquainted with the roosters next door. Some people are bothered by them...they are our joke, Those *&^% roosters need a watch...they crow all times of the day and night. I digress...

Sleeping soundly when all of the sudden BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP - a horrible screaming beeping sound is echoing off the walls. We jump up, "What the hell?!" and realize it's a fire alarm.. Check to make sure we are appropriate, and like all well trained school children, grab our key card and head out of the building. Apparently, all the people in our hotel were as well trained...everyone was outside, lots of staff running around, no smell of fire (whew! since we didn't think about grabbing any money or our travel docs!) Evidently someone was smoking in their room and set off the fire alarm.

At this point, there's no going back to sleep. Guess who WAS sleeping though. The rooster. haha Rotten little ******* got his dues. Suddenly, he was awake. That made me laugh....a lot. Well...hubby went directly back to bed. Sigh...sat up on the balcony and waited for the sun to rise.

I never really have to worry about the towel game. I'm up too early to have to worry about it. Around 6, I headed down to find some chairs and put our towels out. Yeah - I'm the one your travel mates warn you about. I made some coffee and went and sat on the beach. It's one of my favorite times of the day (is there a not favorite time in Negril? No. No, there is not.) While I get my spot early, we use them shortly there after. I'm not someone to leave my towel on a chair all day and not use it. So, there's that.

Sunday - another beach day...spent time between water, chair, and Sunnyside. More about Sunday up next.

[/url]

User Info Menu

Sunday:

Woke up...early. And the race for the umbrella began. There are a few umbrellas for use on the beach at Rooms. Hubby prefers to have shade - and there were always folks under the trees. Well...there's an umbrella not taken. Let's grab it. Yesterday, a couple had it, but never used it. I barely saw them on the beach at all...so, I was all about snagging it this morning. I thought I would be able to move it. Uh..no. Hubby and I struggled with it for a minute and then came Oneal to help us. Moved the umbrella - got set up for the day and grabbed breakfast at the hotel. Rooms includes a continental breakfast and also offers made to order should you choose. They have changed the way the do the breakfast and I like it better. Coffee, tea, juice, water - self serve. Then you just go up and they serve fruit, toast, and pastries where the bar used to be. Easy and fast.

Lay out - swim - drink at Sunnyside. Repeat - most of the day. We took a break from the sun for a bit over at Sunnyside to chat with Maureen. While there we ran into a couple we met a few years ago. Was great to see them, as she had some health issues and I had often wondered how she was faring. She looked fabulous, but sadly they were leaving soon. Was great to meet up with them and chat for a bit. While sitting over there - SunBeach had a gentlemen walking the beach and advertising for them. He possibly has the most radio DJ voice I have ever heard! He stopped and chatted with us for a bit and told us about the reggae show at SunBeach that night. Well, we had planned on hitting up SunBeach anyway - why not tonight? Perfect!

Later - head out for dinner. Walked the beach down to SunBeach. Some pics of our walk:

Name:  IMG_0022.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0028.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0031.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  89.3 KB

Dennis meets us on the beach and we get the table closest to the water. The band is playing and they sound nice. Round of drinks - and we order dinner. Had the lobster bisque before dinner. Jamaican chicken for me and Aims and the guys had lobster. So in between bisque and dinner - Aims and I went off to the bathroom. Walk up there and there is a guy standing there in basically a net tank top and shorts talking to himself. Ok...whatever. Well, she came out of the bathroom first and he at this time was in a loincloth saying "hey" over and over to her. Remember this experience (not at an AI) is new to her...so she mostly just stood there looking away from the man in the loincloth whispering "hey" while rubbing something all over his body. I come out - she doesn't say anything until we get back to the table and then I simply laugh. Dinner comes and the band takes a break...just in time for the next part of the show. A fire dancer. NOW it makes sense. Loincloth...check....some sort of anti fire stuff rubbed all over ...check. We watch the show - good time - crazy, but interesting to watch. Here's some photos of our night:

Name:  IMG_0045.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0048.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0052.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  82.1 KB

My favorite picture is the last one. The fire dancer was collecting tips and we asked if we could take a picture. He sidled right on up to my friend and grabbed on to her for a picture. Remember - she was a tiny bit creeped out by him when we were at the bathroom, not knowing who he was or what he was doing. This left me in giggles the rest of the night.

Walked home along the road - even though there were lots walking the beach, it was getting to be late, so better safe than sorry. Stopped over at Sunnyside where our motto reared its head: One love, one life, one more!

[/url]

User Info Menu

Jenn, I believe his name is Jungle King. He used to perform at 3 Dives Tuesday nights.

Very very nicely done! Love the pics!

VVHT

User Info Menu

VVHT - Thanks and I think that is right! There was another guy (maybe him?) that used to perform at Point Village. Hubby "performed" (I use the term loosely) with him at PV years ago.

More tomorrow....

[/url]

User Info Menu

Anyone interested in more?

[/url]