Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand fleas

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Sand fleas

Those poor flying ants. They happen several times a year. But once in the room, they die in about fifteen minutes. Sweeping them out is a drag...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

We used to call them the "attack of the winged things"

We had guests at Zion Hill one night when they swarmed. Can you imagine?

Next morning it looked like it snowed.....

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

They never died in our room thank god lol. While we were enjoying our after sunset red stripes on the beach there was this huge flock of literally thousands of small birds cruising the beach and eating those flying ants as they came out of the trees or wherever they were hiding. It was amazing watching them fly along together up and down the beach hunting for those flying ants

User Info Menu

Just like Irieonline's poor GF...I'm a magnet for sandfleas and mosquitos...some days I feel like I've tested every product out there and Bunny's is still one of the best and most affordable (since you are looking for products readily available in Jamaica).
    If you're looking for a lighter scented product...the Caribbean Go brand that MikeyNyc mentioned was nicely effective also.

User Info Menu

Right at sundown, rub some jerk sauce on your legs. Make it extra spicy and see of the little sand fleas burst into flames when they bite you.

On second thought....the Jamaican sand fleas might think you are extra tasty! Never mind.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Never experienced sand fleas. We stay west end. Are they like mosquito bites? Itchy?
    "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big_frank View Post
    Never experienced sand fleas. We stay west end. Are they like mosquito bites? Itchy?
    "
    I've had sand fle bites in the West End. Sand is sand and they are there so you have been lucky. Yes, they itch and leave red dots or blotches f you are really sensitive. I use Tea Tree oil on any bites and blast it I forgot it. But you can buy it here.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

"
    I've had sand fle bites in the West End. Sand is sand and they are there so you have been lucky. Yes, they itch and leave red dots or blotches f you are really sensitive. I use Tea Tree oil on any bites and blast it I forgot it. But you can buy it here.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Never experienced sand fleas. We stay west end.
    Are they like mosquito bites?

Itchy?

"
    lol

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
    ..the '''itch-ys''

f.y.i :::>>> in Jamaica,
    ALL OVER Jamaica:::>>>> there're a LOT of animal-thing-ys that WILL bite, itch and bump-up your skin.

Animals like::>>. sand fleas, mosquitos, ants {of varous sizes}, and a host of other itty-bitty somethings( ?? ) that'll make your life mizerable. ... one boardie told me another thing-y might be some kinda dust-mite.

remember:::>>> it's VERY dusty down-there in Jamaica na tru ... dirt & dust & sand blowing around CONSTANT-ly.

Remedy / Solution ..??... `~~~ bug sprays, bug repellants, itch-balms, and most importantly frequent-baths

and:::>> keep your room, environment CLEAN :::: dust, dirt and sand-free..!!

clean fresh clothing daily helps too.
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Sand fleas do not restrict themselves to the sand, they fly. I live upstairs and sometimes they come around. They tend to dine near floor level but not exclusively.