Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand fleas

User Info Menu

Sand fleas

We are headed to Negril in a few weeks. I have seen in other sites about peeps being bitten by sand fleas along the beach in Negril.Is there any local product we can use instead of bringing some form of spray from home
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Sand fleas

USMC strongly endorses Avon Skin So Soft to combat sand fleas on Paris Island. I doubt the sand fleas in Jamaica are any tougher than those.....

User Info Menu

Yes, I buy a bug spray when i get there. Less to pack.
    I pick up a spray called "GO!" I've even found it in the tiny mini marts. Works fine for me.
    http://www.fontanapharmacy.com/produ...75266_zoom.jpg

User Info Menu

Tea Tree oil works for me. They love to attack after a rain and post sunset.

Administrator

User Info Menu

There are several inexpensive local brands, we prefer "Bunny's" brand. Comes in a push spray bottle. You can get it about anywhere...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    ............. "Bunny's" brand.
    omes in a push spray bottle. You can get it about anywhere...
    me-personally,
    have :::: used it... try-ed it :::::::: in-Jamaica, it's so so & sometime-y [[ to/for me ]]

doesn't *work* on WashingtonDC 'squitos

but '''yes''' it IS cheap

see pic::: me-SAY::>> GO with the product on the 'left' in the pic.
    Name:  bug sprays.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  50.4 KB
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

WHAT to do for sand-fleas ... MY personal *experiences* that *work*...

1...do NOT be in that beach sand AFTER sundown .... especially if their sand fleas in the area

2...if there're sand fleas in the area, GET OUT of that area and MOVE to another area where there're no sand fleas

3...i'm not 100% for-sure, but I *think* they don't crawl ... i think they kinda-sort hop .... but they can't hop more than 'bout 5-inches upward .... so wear something like water boots ..... the higher the better ...... folks tend to think i'm joking 'bout the water boots, but i'm DEAD serious .... it WORKS..!!.,.

addedum.... if you have no water boots ... then, wear those black plastic bags over your feet & lower legs .... the big ones cost 'bout JA $10 or less at the China-man store ......... again,,, i've done this TOO, and it WORKS...!!!!
    and
    #4 ... take a looooooooooooonger trip/vacation :::: the longer the better, 'cause with time you *tend* to get-use-to the biting sand fleas (and mosquitoes) unless it's a REALLY bad infestation..... e.g., even the island residents can't deal wit 'em.

definition... a looong-trip :::>>> 2-3 months.
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Name:  bugs.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  97.3 KB try these and see if they work.ROB always bans me for telling ppl. about them.the last time he banned me i had 15 emails from people wanting to know about them.then,they wrote me an email back thanking me for the sand flea advice.so they do work.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Mud Meyer View Post
    Name:  bugs.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  97.3 KB try these and see if they work.ROB always bans me for telling ppl. about them.the last time he banned me i had 15 emails from people wanting to know about them.then,they wrote me an email back thanking me for the sand flea advice.so they do work.
    Mud,

This is the FIRST TIME you have mentioned non-animal based (dogs & cats) flea collars. You can purchase these human use bands at the Negril Pharmacy, but you never recommended the For Human Use bands before. I am glad you are no longer giving dangerous advice. Thank you!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I find it best to travel with someone who the bugs seem to like. My gf gets a bad reaction to bug bites in Jamaica. One year we spent the last 5 days of our trip at hedo in Negril and the nurse there told her that there's always one person in the group who the bugs seem to go after. That person is my gf and the bugs seem to stay away from me. Smiths suggestion about staying longer also seems to have some truth to it. I find that I do get some bug bites during the first week but after that they seem to leave me alone. I feel bad for my gf cause the bugs drive her crazy but she doesn't let it put a damper on her time in Negril. The only time I saw her really freak out is when we left our cabin door open while we went to watch the sunset and when we returned to our room it was full of thousands of flying ants that were attracted to the lite that was on inside. She freaked out but I turned the lite off inside the room and turned the porch lite on and within minutes they all left the room. So if you go watch the sunset and plan on being on the beach till after dark do yours of a favour and don't leave you door open with the lite on inside.