Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Kingston

User Info Menu

Leaving Kingston

All I can say is wow!!! Kingston is so damn nice.. Rode route taxis and the bus to get all over town.. Port royal, hellshire beach, downtown, everywhere! The vibe is more authentic, barely any hassle or hustle.. And nothing persistant or aggressive.. I love Kingston and will be back!! Don't believe the rumors and lies!! Go visit!

User Info Menu

Re: Leaving Kingston

umm, that's been what I have been hearing about Kingston. Any pics?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

So glad you enjoyed Kingston!!
    We love Kingston and visit if not every month, but at least every second month (work & pleasure)...the city is wonderfully vibrant.
    If you're driving yourself around as we do...there is an element of "hassle or hustle" that happens at the traffic lights that is huge annoyance and topic to many Kingstonians...just a different kind of harassment.

I'm not sure what you mean by more authentic...but I don't think having a TGI Fridays makes it more Jamaican (ha ha).
    Seriously, glad you enjoyed it and that you'll be going back...definitely a different vacation from the rest of the island.

User Info Menu

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    If you're driving yourself around as we do...there is an element of "hassle or hustle" that happens at the traffic lights that is huge annoyance and topic to many Kingstonians...just a different kind of harassment.
    I know exactly what you're talking about.

https://youtu.be/JbuB4ykALJs

User Info Menu

Hahah we didn't/wouldn't rent a car until leaving Kingston! Even then I made the wife drive while I navagated off of instinct hahaha! It was wild!!! We got a flat just passed yallas!! right around the time I was thinking I should man the ship, because it seemed like she was aiming for every pothole!!! She still swears she's the better driver!! But 15 minutes into it Iam honking my horn and passing slow drivers just like a local!! I do have pics but once again I can only post them on Instagram!! Can't figure it out on here! So go check mi!! Got some good ones too! You won't regret!! One at hellshire beach this little girl whispered in my wife's ear while she ever so gently touched her and said "pretty lady, will you take your picture with me"!!! This trip had been amazing!!!

User Info Menu

Ps! I meant more authentic like you meet more people that will actually talk to you and vibe with you even if you don't buy nothing from them... At hellshire beach only few walking vendors and a simple no was all they needed, not an oz of grief... Although I did buy from a few because I needed things like a lighter which th bars did not sell... Not to mention how helpful people where at places like the bus stations... Anybody and everybody will do there best to help you and 9/10 not expect a thing but maybe a thank you... Great great people all around Kingston and that says a lot for a big city... Not one bad experience in our 3 days there!!

User Info Menu

Although ..our trip to Kingston ..was short & sweet -I couldn't agree more -
    Excellent place to visit ..so glad we did & will do it again

User Info Menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79o7qwul48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U79o7qwul48

Anybody who has traveled to Jamaica more than a couple times and loves the island you are doing a dis service to yourself and the country by not visiting Kingston. I remember being there in 1980 about a week before the elections walking down the sidewalk to the train station and nobody bothered me in any way. I felt safer than in NYC. The train ride to Mobay was awesome but our of concern for my camera stuff I left it in its bag during the journey, a huge mistake on my part. The train ride was like $5 USD and went from Kingston through Trench town and then the center of the island to MoBay. My mistake as the landscape was beyond words.
    Last edited by johng; 04-16-2016 at 10:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    The train ride was like $5 USD and went from Kingston through Trench town and then the center of the island to MoBay. My mistake as the landscape was beyond words.
    The train never went through Trench Town but South of there through Tivoli Gardens, Greenwich Town and Seaview Gardens where I used to live some years back.

I miss it for the sheer adventure of going through rural areas where road didn't even go. Perhaps it will come back in some form.

Peace and Guidance
    Name:  Kingston-Street-Map.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  98.1 KB
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Regrets for my incorrect information. Whatever the area was called it was located a few miles from the train station and was between the tracks and the harbour. Several miles of shanties which was difficult to witness in comparison to the beauty of the Island even Kingston up until that time.

Really if you have time during your trip Kingston is very well worth the visit.