Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: JA Govt to sell Booby Cay island for $351 million JA (about $4.2 million USD)

User Info Menu

JA Govt to sell Booby Cay island for $351 million JA (about $4.2 million USD)

User Info Menu

What does forced sale mean?
    Why did it HAVE to be sold?
    You see how the price got halved as the water around it is a fish sanctuary? well it is an ocean I guess! Sounds fishy to me the snorkel boats will not be able to charge extra to go there any more too
    To be honest though it could do with something doing with it.It was going to waste and ending up a smelly mess.Not sure housing would have been the best choice for it but still who am I to judge?

User Info Menu

Interesting. Here's what I'm seeing here:
    Housing Development - Hurricanes? Can't imagine that island fares too well during a hurricane. Fish Sanctuary - that never meant anything to anyone once they broke ground on the RIUs on Bloody Bay. That section was a marine sanctuary, fought for by the Negril Coral Reef Society. Somehow, "they" got around that and "moved" said sanctuary to Little Bloody Bay and there it sat for many years until last year when a resort/condo developer bought and starting tearing things up there. That was such a sweet little beach. Now, I never knew the sea around Booby Cay WAS a fish sanctuary....based on the "rules" associated with the marine sanctuary at Little Bloody Bay motorized water vehicles were not allowed, nor was fishing. Motorized vehicles go to Booby Cay all the time and nuff lobster is caught there.

I'd be interested to see what happens and I'm also curious about this "forced sale"...

User Info Menu

How will they handle sewer and water? I'll believe it when I see it.

Respect,

User Info Menu

The land consists of the Island,but the main piece of land is in between Point Village and the old Grand Lido. There is a way to get the sewer out to the pumping station from that parcel. It's a beautiful piece, we have walked it many times as well as swam in the little coves in bloody bay side. One little cove has a staircase. I would have bought it but I'm very poor.

User Info Menu

Government now says Booby Cay has NOT been sold - article in Gleaner yesterday.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ews/news8.html