Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending in the army?????

User Info Menu

Re: Sending in the army?????

Quote Originally Posted by georgelenard View Post
    I thought that Superintendent from Kingston that was brought in a decade ago to clean up Negril or did he just really brought in his own crew?
    IIRC he was sent to the PA area and new blood was brought in. The new guy went after barrel guys as they.................?

User Info Menu

Id have no issues with it. I own several firearms myself, and their presence is never a concern to me unless for whatever reason they should end up pointed at me, Barring that, which has never happened, I have no issues with a presence letting itself be known in an attempt at detterence, because as recent events demonstrate, doing more of the same old stuff will result in the same stuff continuing to happen. What do you think will scare people more from visiting Negril? "I was robbed, and couldn't even find an officer to report the crime to. When I finally did, he seemed disinterested and not keen on actually helping me in any way. When I went to the beach, I was constantly harassed to purchase not only legal goods and services, but every type of black market drug under the sun. They were quite aggressive in their "pitch" as well" Or "I had a great time in Jamaica. I met lots of new friends, enjoyed several leisurely walks down the beach, etc. I did notice soldiers stationed here and there, but they certainly didn't bother me and didnt seem intent on bothering the locals unless their intervention was deemed necessary." (Armed)Security might turn some people off, but I think it beats brazen lawlessness to the point personal safety becomes a major concern. You can bet if an armed military presence gets the attention of a mostly law-abiding tourist, you can bet the criminal element also takes notice.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Have been in Jamaica when the military was present NOT comforting at all just the opposite kind of frightening

User Info Menu

Having been all over the Caribbean (I have been on a dozen Caribbean cruises) I've seen different islands that have varying levels of military presence. I personally have no issue with this. As far as I see it, the government has decided that it is beneficial to them to have a very safe, secure area for tourists, so much so that they use military manpower to ensure it. Maybe because there have been problems in the past, or maybe they're ensuring those problems never begin. Either way, I appreciate the ability to visit places that otherwise might not be safe, in some instances much more so than Jamaica.

Also, I spend a good amount of time in and around NYC, and see armed military, especially in places like Penn Station and Port Authority. I also live near an armory, with two tanks parked right out front, barrels pointed outwards, defensively. It's just a fact of life now, maybe moreso for me than for others.

I'm very curious why the presence of trained, armed military, there for your protection, would be considered scary, frightening, or off-putting? Their main reason for being there is to protect you! Do the same feelings occur if it is regular police? Is it mainly the large rifles? Is it an intrusion into the chill, laid back atmosphere? Would you continue to go, as-is to Negril right now, but if there is increased military presence, would that deter you? If so, moreso than the current issues with crime?

Now, that being said, the other thing that occurs to me, is this should also help the locals. It's too bad that they didn't start getting the help they need until a tourist was murdered, if it was my community I'd feel that the govt wasn't worried about me, just the tourists and the money they bring in.
    Last edited by HarryS; 06-22-2016 at 03:44 PM.

User Info Menu

HarryS

These are comments from Jamaicans on the Daily Gleaner Website in response to the Negril Hoteliers request for Army on the ground in Negril. You judge for yourself the sentiment that is brewing.

(Post edited because all the comments to the Gleaner articles are already posted in their entirety on the Gleaner copyrighted pages. Here is the link to the article with the comments at the end of the article. To allow for proper judgement and to keep us from infringing on the Gleaner's copyrights, please read the article then the comments and their replies below the article. Thanks.)

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...gril-hoteliers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    We would be glad to see them. Would not bother us.
    Jaherring, could you dream of soldiers patrolling on jet skis?

User Info Menu

Oh no Jamaica please dont put soldiers on jet skis lol. One thing i kept saying to my gf on our last trip was isnt it so much nicer here now without the constant noise of the jet skis going back and forth all day long. I really hope i never see another jet ski in Negril again. Fingers crossed lol

User Info Menu

I personally have never felt unsafe in Negril or anywhere in Jamaica but for obvious reasons I do follow the same security rules that I do while at home. Given the rise in crime and the ongoing issues with people feeling unsafe, I would welcome the defense force being brought in. I've seen them in Cancun and other Caribbean Islands and while it can be off putting to see them, it certainly does make you feel safer. I work less than a block form the White House and we see armed guards all the time, even snipers on the roofs of buildings.

I agree with Irieonline -- -please don't put them on jet skis!

User Info Menu

Not a bad idea dave. Roll Tide.