Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending in the army?????

User Info Menu

Re: Sending in the army?????

We were in Paris in July on Bastille Day - sitting in an outdoor cafe drinking Pernod (sounded like the right thing to do). Twice in the hour we were there, 2 separate groups of 3 decked out soldiers with assault rifles (actual assault rifles, not the AR style that people call assault rifles) strolled by. I wondered how I should feel about it and decided that I was totally OK with it. I thought that it would be OK even in Chicago where I bicycle commute through the West Side daily and maybe even OK occasionally in Negril, after dark. It is a slippery slope though and I fear once they are embedded, they will take on more and more power and maybe ruin all the fun.

Bastille Day ended up nicely for us but not for the hundreds injured and the 85 killed in Nice, France. That truck was eventually, and pretty quickly actually, stopped by these same type of soldiers.

Changing world calls for different responses. Sad, but true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    As CaptD posted above back in June, the Police are stating there is no need for the army to be sent to Negril. Here is a more detailed article about the issue dated June 27th from the Gleaner:

https://proudjamaica.com/no-soldiers...n-resort-town/

We live here and are out and about pretty much daily. Watching Bolt on Sunday after the Western Dog Show was an absolute blast at the Red Dragon!

Have a great time, but of course use caution as you would anywhere. Have a few numbers available for drivers to get around at night. All of the drivers in our Transport section are legally licensed and insured.
    Rob

Thanks for the response ... any number you can share for drivers is appreciated .. thanks !

User Info Menu

I was in Negril two weeks ago and saw more of a police presence on the beach than I ever have. I also saw men who I assumed were police, armed and walking the beach, however they were in a uniform I did not recognize. The hassle was also at an all time low. I thoroughly enjoyed the vibe and appreciated the police presence and hope the vibe does not change.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davevols View Post
    Jaherring, could you dream of soldiers patrolling on jet skis?

User Info Menu

It would seem that the Superintendent of the local Police Force is not doing his job? But then did the crime rate in Negril not rise when this new fellow took over?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    I was in Negril two weeks ago and saw more of a police presence on the beach than I ever have. I also saw men who I assumed were police, armed and walking the beach, however they were in a uniform I did not recognize. The hassle was also at an all time low. I thoroughly enjoyed the vibe and appreciated the police presence and hope the vibe does not change.

Totally agree on all that you just said. Saw tons of law enforcement of all types. tourist cops, negril cops, and what appeared to be JDF - But just as an assumption due to the different uniforms. Lots of law enforcement. Was hardly bothered for ****.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flipadelphia26 View Post
    Totally agree on all that you just said. Saw tons of law enforcement of all types. tourist cops, negril cops, and what appeared to be JDF - But just as an assumption due to the different uniforms. Lots of law enforcement. Was hardly bothered for ****.
    I'm pretty sure what you saw was the upgraded courtesy cops.

User Info Menu

Either way it was nice. Then again, it could have been left over from Dream Weekend - Rolling into the holidays.

User Info Menu

Personally would like to see more than less ...

User Info Menu

We just returned from Negril yesterday, and I concur that it was nice to see an increased police presence. Even hanging out on the West End, it was not uncommon to see the police pickup truck or jeep driving down one of the lanes. I also noticed a dramatic decrease in motorcycles after the effort to impound illegal ones. The bikes I did see appeared to be legal (i.e. without the loud mufflers) and obeying most traffic laws. It was refreshing to see motorcycles out numbered by scooters! I also saw a couple roadblocks, where the police were checking documentation on the red plates. I stood outside the Mirage waiting 10 minutes for a route taxi, wondering where the heck they all were!

The beach was nice too. I was bothered a few times, but much less than usual. Only a couple hustlers and the regular vendors weren't too much of an annoyance (I shouldn't have to tell the Ciiiigarette Man 3 times that I don't smoke).