Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending in the army?????

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Re: Sending in the army?????

I personally think this is a great idea. Bring them in for a while and clean things up a bit. This at least would be a good start to a multi-tier approach at reducing crime and making tourists feel a little more at ease. Not that I have ever really ever felt uncomfortable in Negril.
    “Indecision may or may not be my problem.”

User Info Menu

Sending in the Army???? That is pretty radical move for Negril, JA!!! Wow too many images already of the Heavy Manners in the world. Seeing the JDF operating out of Negril I think would go a long way in sealing the fate of tourism in Jamaica. Just the thought of Hum-Vees patrolling the streets and beaches and soldiers with automatic weapons causes in me an awful image!!!!

User Info Menu

It's a catch-22 for me. I would feel safer with them there, but a still a little uneasy seeing them. I remember seeing the guys with big guns in Mexico and feeling weird about it. This just stinks. We are still contemplating cancelling our February trip. This might help us feel better though. On the fence...
    [http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I've seen them around the last few trips. Glad they're there.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't bother me. A little security theater might go a long way for Negril.
    First time I saw a long gun on patrol was Cancun in 95, it was sorta shocking then but I was 17. I think the majority of people are so desensitized by now, that it's not a big deal. I'm actually surprised when I don't see National Guard and the like at Penn Station, Port Authority etc.

User Info Menu

We would be glad to see them. Would not bother us.

User Info Menu

They have got to do something since the police can't seem to stop it. I am also contemplating cancelling our December trip but this and no more killings would help.

User Info Menu

Personally i think it is a great idea and long overdue. Sad that a tourist has to get shot and killed for them to take these measures but it seems as though the police in negril dont have the resources or the numbers and could use the help. They need to round up all the squatters and get them the hell out of there but not sure even the soldiers can do that. I think most tourists wouldnt be bothered by seeing armed soldiers that are there to keep them safe.

User Info Menu

I thought that Superintendent from Kingston that was brought in a decade ago to clean up Negril or did he just really brought in his own crew?