Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malware attack targeting Facebook users affects 10,000 victims in 2 days

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

User Info Menu

Malware attack targeting Facebook users affects 10,000 victims in 2 days

A malware attack specifically targeting Facebook users has been uncovered by security researchers, which affected around 10,000 users in just two days. Between 24 and 27 June, thousands of Facebook users received messages from a "friend", claiming to have mentioned them on Facebook. The message was in reality, issued by hackers to launch a two-stage malware attack. For more please click on the link below:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/facebook-us...ews&yptr=yahoo
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Malware attack targeting Facebook users affects 10,000 victims in 2 days

This last season was also an attack on many visitors (multiple times sometimes) as well as we people that live in Negril with the creating of fake facebook accounts under your name. I took it to the Resort board meeting and made a police report on my incident. I was told by facebook investigators to let people know to check their names (search) monthly because it was of high incidence in Negril. After creating a fake account they would reach out to your friends and have inappropriate conversations, acting like you. This sent someone home early, because a man stopped them on street saying they were chatting and were to meet, when they didn't have the conversation!! Others took the conversations and showed others, but soon found out it wasn't them! Sad because this caused a lot of bad feeling .....social media isn't all its cracked up to be

User Info Menu

one more reason to go Mac!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    one more reason to go Mac!
    macs are not immune if you are using the Chrome browser...

User Info Menu

The Facebook malware mainly targeted users with Windows-based machines, but also those using Windows OS phones could have been at risk too. Android and iOS users were not impacted since the Facebook malware doesn’t user libraries compatible with these mobile OSs.

I have been using macs for five years now and never have had an issue.....and the fact is Macs are far more immune from viruses thanPC's.....I havenever used any anti virus software
    Last edited by marco; 07-04-2016 at 06:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    macs are not immune if you are using the Chrome browser...
    Thank you Rob for stating this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Thank you Rob for stating this.
    Ditto that thank you here. Just upgraded and tightened my security settings.
    seems that way to me too...lol
    Three...

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

The Facebook malware mainly targeted users with Windows-based machines, but also those using Windows OS phones could have been at risk too. Android and iOS users were not impacted since the Facebook malware doesn’t user libraries compatible with these mobile OSs.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post

I have been using macs for five years now and never have had an issue.....and the fact is Macs are far more immune from viruses thanPC's.....I havenever used any anti virus software
    Marco,

The actual quote from the Kaspersky Lab article about the FB attack was:

"People using Windows-based computers to access Facebook were at the greatest risk, while those using Windows OS phones could possibly have been at some risk. Users of Android and iOS mobile devices were immune since the malware used libraries which are not compatible with these mobile operating systems."

The reason for this "greatest risk" is that more Windows machines use Chrome than do Macs.

But if you think you dont have to worry about viruses, think again. The obviously biased "MacWorld" magazine ran an article earlier this year in May. Their opening lines were "Do Macs get viruses? Do Macs need antivirus software? The short answers are yes, and yes."

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac...mware-3454926/

In February of this year, I posted that "ransomware" was going to be more in the news this year. According to the above article, one month later, "March 2016 saw the appearance of the first ever piece of Mac ransomware, distributed along with a version of a piece of legitimate software".

So please become aware that Macs are not immune. This has been in the news since the first major Mac viruses hit in 2010/2011. There were small infections before that time, but very limited in numbers as the number of Macs were limited.

As the Apple website states:

"As a Mac user you don't have to live in fear that your computer is going to be infected every time you install an application, read email, or visit a web page. But neither should you have the false idea that you will always be safe, no matter what you do."

Administrator

User Info Menu

The reason for the original post was to inform our viewers of this latest FB scam.

As many of you are aware, there has been an increase in the number of fake FB accounts.

Please be careful on FB, and before you re-friend someone, check your existing friends list to see if they are already on your existing list.