Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: renting jet ski's on the beach

User Info Menu

Jaherring,

Coral reefs will be gone by the end of the century, according to UN Scientists. This would give coral reefs the dubious accolade of being the first entire ecosystem to have been destroyed by human activity. In the recently published book 'Our Dying Planet', Professor Peter Sale writes that coral reef ecosystems are very likely to disappear by the end of this century, in what would be "a new first for mankind — the 'extinction' of an entire ecosystem".

What a, "blast"!
    Last edited by Rhodesresort; 10-19-2011 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Wish they'd ban those awful Jet-Skis. We could all live without them.

User Info Menu

I agree,very annoying I wish they would ban those things.

User Info Menu

Rhodesresort >> bullhockey.

User Info Menu

Found this info:

Environmental Concerns
    Personal watercraft are small and ride higher in the water than other boats, so they can get into very narrow, shallow spaces. This is particularly helpful for surveyors, search-and-rescue teams and U.S. Homeland Security officials, all of whom use the craft in their work. However, this ability to get into tight spaces can lead to:

•Disturbance of sediment
    •Destruction of aquatic habitat and plant life
    •Disturbance of or injury to birds, fish and animals
    Unlike motorboats, a jet drive has no external propeller to damage coral reefs or injure animals. However, the drive's suction and the force of the jet can still cause damage. Also, if the drive is not flushed thoroughly after every use, "exotic" species, like zebra mussels and invasive plants, can stow away inside the craft. They can then be transported to other bodies of water.

Another environmental concern is pollution. All older models and some newer models of personal watercraft use two-stroke engines, which can vent oil and gasoline into the water with their exhaust. Other motorized boats also use two-stroke engines, but the sheer number of personal watercraft may make their environmental impact greater.

User Info Menu

MiShell,

Thank you for posting the information on how destructive jet ski's are to our environment. Certainly not "bullhockey" (whatever that means?). It is only a matter of time when these crafts will finally be banned.

User Info Menu

There are generally about six or seven Jet Ski guys in front of the RIU, so I would think a tourist could get a pretty good deal. It's one of the few activities I haven't done in Negril -- had a pretty krazy accident about 10 years ago with one of those things in Cabo San Lucas, so I have not been keen to get on another one ....

User Info Menu

MiShell,

We are sorry about your diagnosis. There seems to be many treatments to help this condition. We hope you are successful in finding one.

User Info Menu

When I was just there in August, there's a bunch of new guys on the beach renting out the jet ski's,havent seen the other's they must of retired for summer, but what I witnessed was not good this time around they were careless I almost saw a swimmer and snorkler run over right infront of NBCC. They didnt seem to be watching the water more like watching the shoreline at tourists, so tehy were not aware of their surroundings.
    Just be careful and watch out for swimmers and snorklers.

User Info Menu

I swim the buoy-line in front of Coco early in the morning when its calm. The Jet Ski guys like to speed up and down the buoy line - not sure why they have to back and forth so much - but last year I drifted a little too close to the buoy-line and had a jet-ski roar past me, within two feet - a very close brush. I was pissed. I kept swiming and rounded the buoys and caught up with the guy in front of the ForReal Bar () where he had beached the ski. I really unloaded on him. He laughed at me and made lewd gestures.

I wouldn't miss them if they were banned, but then you'd have to ban the Para sail boats and the banana-pulling boats and the ski boats and . . .

Maybe they could be limited and restricted in some manner. There seems to be too many of them. They are constantly buzzing around, like a bunch of annoying mosquitos. I know the guys have to make a living, but I find jet skis obnoxious - just my humble opinion.

K3
    Last edited by Kahuna3; 10-21-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'