Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

Breakfast of ham & cheese omelet. Really good. I eat slowly, glancing up every so often to watch the rain and inhale the warm, damp air. I’m not getting wet at all…that's sweet because I don’t want to move.

I have music, but not the speaker so no external sound. That’s ok, the rain provides its own instrumentals as it performs.

https://youtu.be/aMgLmVWD9DY

User Info Menu

yum!!! Even the rain looks and sounds nice in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Sammy, yes it was very pleasant that day...

User Info Menu

The shower lets up a bit. I go to the bar and visit with Rock Bottom. He watches the bar when the bartender steps away. This a really nice place to hang early evening/night. He was about to shut it down because of the weather but will keep it open now that I’m there. I order a cranberry wata. He pulled out two, one was frozen the other not. I took the frozen bottle. The ice will melt quickly in this heat.

I wandered over to his little shop and pick out a few things. That’s what I do…shop, he puts the items to the side then I return another day to pay. Last time I purchased three carved turtles. He’s since added quite a few more to his inventory.

Turtles for sale.

I picked out two, a fish and small jewelry bowl. He threw in 2 more turtles. He’s a sweetheart. He put everything to the side for when I return to pay for them. This is my loot.

User Info Menu

liquid sunshine on a zinc roof sipping so hot tea eating breakfast. listening and watching the drops fall is music to chillax too in Jamaica though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

ahhhhh the droplets of rain hitting zinc...

User Info Menu

I couldn’t keep my eyes off a couple of 3-foot odd looking abstract pieces sitting on the plank of the complex. I got up to examine them closer and try to figure out what the spiky shoots were. They were hard sort of resembling porcupine quills. Walking around the structure gave it a different look from each side or view. I like it a lot and said if I owned a home here it, it would be coming with me.

“You like that?”
    I turn to see where the question came from.
    “Yes, I do. I don’t know why because I can’t figure out what it’s composed of, but I like it a lot.”
    “I make them. You see this…this is the root of a bamboo tree. I clean them and let them dry good. Once they dry, I build something.

This is my shop.” He proudly points to the right. “I make bamboo furniture.”
    “You do great work.”
    “I don’t waste any part of the bamboo…not even the root. My name is King (his real last name) and this is what I love to do.

Mr. King

Besides having artistic and construction/engineering skills, the man is gifted with an incredible memory. During our conversation he recited a couple of lengthy, but interesting poems written by his son. One touched me so deeply I asked him if he would repeat it, but this time I wanted his voice as I recorded the weather outside. The title and theme felt appropriate for the forecast. He was happy to accommodate my request. Unfortunately I can’t post it because I told him it was for my personal enjoyment. But he’s an example of the talent and generosity that openly lives in Jamaica. All you have to do is introduce yourself. If ever in Portland, do stop and visit Mr. King, Rock Bottom and all the other kind and friendly vendors at the market by the sea…

Last edited by *vi*; 09-02-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

More of Mr. Kings work...birdhouses and windchimes.

Time to go...my ride is here.

User Info Menu

Nice work out of the bamboo!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

After reading all of this, checking out the photos and the video... I let my husband know that after our upcoming trip to Negril and Treasure Beach in October, we'll have to start planning a trip to Portland. Thanks for sharing, Vi- it's been a great trip riding along vicariously through you!