Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

It was a good afternoon.

User Info Menu

My toes are atrocious!!! They are screaming for attention. One day I decided to visit Miss Rose at the salon to get my toes a much needed make-over. I went after lunch.

Lunch was curried chicken from Polly’s place (300J). I tried to only eat half because I didn’t want to feel sluggish moving about downtown. But it was sooooo good I had to force myself to put the folk down ¾ of the way through.

Love me some Jamaican cooking!!!!!

User Info Menu

I stand on the roadside waiting for a nice, comfy route taxi to stop and scoop me up. Plenty are passing, but they are all full!! The sun feels like it is two feet from my face. I was about to save the trip for later until I saw the bus coming. I might as well do the wild route taxi bus ride…my life insurance is current.

When the bus stopped I could see it was packed but the money handler said there’s room for me. Yeah my seat was a board placed across the isle making two seats one long bench. The sign said 15 passenger capacity limit. I made #18 1/2. To take my mind off the very unsafe position I put myself in for the safe of pretty toes, I do what I do…take pictures and videos.

The door stayed open…I couldn’t resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9OOr3pvkfg

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

When the bus stopped I could see it was packed but the money handler said there’s room for me. Yeah my seat was a board placed across the isle making two seats one long bench. The sign said 15 passenger capacity limit. I made #18 1/2. To take my mind off the very unsafe position I put myself in for the safe of pretty toes, I do what I do…take pictures and videos.

The door stayed open…I couldn’t resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9OOr3pvkfg[/QUOTE]

Oh man! I took that bus on my last reach to Portland. WOW! Hubby almost had his hand taken off by the door, I was sitting on a milk crate, and it was like 150degrees in that thing. I think I'll pass next time I see it. We waited so long for a taxi that we took the opportunity when the bus was passing...think we'll wait a little longer next time!

User Info Menu

YUM!!!- Love the ride along!!-looks like my type of country vibe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brazz View Post
    ….I think I'll pass next time I see it. We waited so long for a taxi that we took the opportunity when the bus was passing...think we'll wait a little longer next time!
    I’m with you brazz. When you MUST ride something then I’ll get on and pray, but otherwise I’ll wait for that little white corolla hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    YUM!!!- Love the ride along!!-looks like my type of country vibe!
    Stick around Vince, I got much country vibe for you!

User Info Menu

I'm not moving one spot. I'm ready for some Jamaica country!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Yay!!! finally a Vi fix to hold me over to my next reach. I always have something to look forward to when you write your trip reports. I'm still waiting patiently for the outcome from your last trip report.

User Info Menu

Okay Vince, I'll be checking that front row seat to make sure you're occupying it.

butterfly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey there sunshine so nice to know you are riding along!!! Yes, I am ready to finish the report...shortly after this one.

User Info Menu

Downtown was ultra busy today with movement in every direction. Not really the best conditions to be looking for a place, especially if you’re a foreigner. I asked whoever I felt would be familiar with the salon’s new location. A friendly sweetheart name Kim, who was eager to help, did nothing but wear me out whipping around corners, dodging cars at crosswalks and constantly moving against the flow of foot traffic. After ten minutes of this unplanned workout, I gave up. Thanked Kim for trying and offered to buy her a cold beverage for her time. She just smiled and said “No, dahlin I’m good. Hope you find the salon.”

SCREW the salon and my ferocious toes...at least for today. I went to the market to sit with my friend Suzi. Her ten year old was taking special summer courses so she was in school. Her three year old was hungry!! Mom gave her 50J and off she went, down the lane into the straw market. She soon returns carrying a wedge of jackfruit. Now if you ever had jackfruit you know the flesh is sweet and the sap is sticky like a thin layer of glue. I like Suzi’s extracting technique…plastic bag glove.

Her oldest soon arrives. This young lady knows where everything is so I asked her about the salon. She told me there’s a girl in the market who does nails. I had her lead the way.

My new found gem…

Down the lane through the market, we are greeted with a smile when we reached the small shop. Her name is Keisha and I’ll be her customer for as long as I can find her whenever I’m in Portland. Not only did she do an excellent job, but she “catered” to me. I realized I prefer the small, one chair salon hidden in nook in the straw market opposed to the larger shop on the strip filled with voices carrying on multiple conversations and I can’t contribute to. Not criticizing the larger salons, I simply like everything about this humble establishment…including the floor fan.

Oh yeah, the nail job cost 600J, that included the eye-catching artwork on the big toes. I gave her a 400J tip. Get this; she passed the tip on to my little guide for bringing me to her place, the selfless daughter passed it on to her mother. Mother purchased a fried chicken box meal for the three of them to share. The cold Pepsis were on me. I’m respectfully learning this community more and more.