Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

Hopped a ride with a new driver. His name is Cleveland and he’s a character. You’ll meet him later.

I talked to Tommy, my new #1 driver, about my plans. Where I want to go and when and how much is all this going to cost me. I’ll show him off as well.

After that I go to Sandra’s house to say hi. Mr. B was on the porch cleaning ackee. He says “Dis your ackee for tomorrow breakfast. Sandra say you like ackee. Saltfish too??”

My eyes fixed on that big bowl of ackee like it was gold. “Yes, I like it with saltfish.”

Now that makes TWO goodies I’m looking forward to tomorrow. My first ackee & saltfish breakfast of this reach and rafting the Rio Grande!!!

User Info Menu

I’m respectfully learning this community more and more.<< That's my mission every time we go to da country. (Orange Bay area) I'm still cruzin wit ya *vi*!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Vince, I find myself in the role of a student even to children sometimes. Yes, spending time in the country (communities) is not only humbling but you learn so much.

User Info Menu

Lawd that ackee! Wish i was joining you for breakfast tomorrow, sigh.

User Info Menu

LOL Sammy I wish "I" were back in Jamaica eating it all over again. It was soooo good!!! The photo is going to have your mouth watering.

User Info Menu

Rafting on the Rio Grande

“Bing, ding ding…Bing, ding dong…” In other words “Wake up, Vi. Get up, Vi.” The awful alarm repeated again and again and again.

Tuesday traffic is worse than Monday because now the weekend partiers who called off on Monday to sober up, are on the road on Tuesday. I’m not eager to deal with that at all…five more minutes…the alarm ignores my request and flares again. I reach to the left to silence the noise. Fumbling with eyes closed to feel my way to audible relief, I had to open my eyes.

WAIT!!! What a glorious realization that I am NOT dreaming (just disoriented) and I'm really in JAMAICA Tuesday morning, July 26, 2016. "Sigh"….no morning stop-n-slowly-go traffic today. You’re on holiday. You’re in Portland. GET MOVING woman!

I thank the loud sun light for the wake-up call, leap out of bed thinking how grateful to see this day begin with bright, weather-wise positivity.

Shower, dress then, oh yeah, breakfast ackee & saltfish breakfast with Sandra.

Sandra calls me to let me know breakfast is ready.

“I’m on my way.”

User Info Menu

Sandra makes the BEST ackee. What sells me is not so much the seasoning, it’s the texture. I like the ackee on the firm side. Not over cooked in other words. She does too so I can depend on her to prepare it OUR way every time.

Ackee, saltfish, fried breadfruit, accompanied by tender super sweet plantains, mint tea on a Tuesday morning in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

The day’s arrangement. I needed…well maybe not “needed” but had room for a companion. The raft is one price be it one or more passengers. I invited #1 driver Tommy to join me. He’s never had the blissful experience plus he’s great to be around. Route taxi driver Tommy is a classic discovery for any traveler to Portland. He’s got personality. He’s got wit. He’s got the gift to find a reason to smile in any situation. He’s got red plates LOL.

The journey starts at one point and ends at another because it’s current driven. This is not a roundtrip trek. Since the driver who would drop me off then pick me up will be on the raft, he had to find a driver to do that. That driver was O’Neal and his smooth ac ride.

We are here and so is plenty of sunshine!!!

Meet our raft captain Motor.

...and we're off...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Vince, I find myself in the role of a student even to children sometimes. Yes, spending time in the country (communities) is not only humbling but you learn so much.
    We are on the same page here *vi*- Learning, observing, watching body language's, ect...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    Ackee, saltfish, fried breadfruit, accompanied by tender super sweet plantains, mint tea on a Tuesday morning in Jamaica.

I hope you saved me some!