Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 44 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip Report July/August 2016

User Info Menu

Trip Report July/August 2016

Portland 2016, July 22 – August 7

Pre-reach story…

About a week prior to departure, my granddaughter Mia decided to keep me company while I attempt to pack. Since I would be on the rock for over 2 weeks I needed to take enough clothes so that I wouldn’t have to do laundry. There were major piles all over the bedroom.

Mia cleared a space on my queen-sized bed and nestled in with her iPad. Yeah, a 7 year old owning a device to play games on that cost as much as a RT ticket to Jamaica. When I was seven, the closest thing I had to an iPad was an etch-a-sketch!

“Mom Mom Jamaica?”
    “Yes, Mia?”
    “Are you moving again?”
    “No sweetie, I’m sorting clothes for my trip.”
    “You’re taking a lot of clothes and I know why.”
    “You do??”
    “Yes!” she replied confidently as she swiped her little finger across the iPad screen. “You’re a girl and we girls need to dress up pretty all the time. We feel good when we dress up pretty. But Mom Mom Jamaica, don’t take that dress.” She’s pointing to the bold colored floral frock on top of the “yes" pile.
    “Why Mia?”
    “It’s ug…it’s not pretty at all. You won’t feel good wearing that.”
    “Really? You think it’s ugly??”
    “Yes. My mommy wouldn’t wear it. Mom Mom Macaroni wouldn’t wear it. I wouldn’t wear it. Nanny!! Nanny wouldn’t even wear it.”
    (Nanny is Mia’s almost 90-years-young great, great Auntie.)
    Needless to say, the little 7 year old fashion expert put down the iPad and helped me choose this trip’s attire.

End of pre-reach story.

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report July/August 2016

Yahhhh!!!!!!!!! A Vi report.......next best thing to really being there !!!

User Info Menu

Hi jojo!!! I think you're going to like this one.

User Info Menu

July 22, 2016, Departure Day!!

I scored a direct flight on American airlines. It landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule which ushered us to the immigration lines ahead of 4 other flights. That was nice. I was outside under the Jamaica sky in less than 35 minutes. I decided to take Tropical Tours to Ocho Rios instead of the routine Juta. Mistake. The wait to leave was longer than any Juta wait. About 15 passengers on-board so that meant numerous stops. One of these days I’ll treat myself to a private driver to see if the savings in time is worth the extra money.

Here is a little arrival slide show I put together. It’s an abbreviated journey zipping from Philadelphia airport, stop in Ocho Rios then on to Portland. This is my first attempt at compiling one of these, so while it’s lame, it’s more humane than posting all 135 arrival photos.

https://youtu.be/FfoaRg4Twho

User Info Menu

Love the you tube video! Mom Mom Jamaica

User Info Menu

LOL! Thanks Sammyb. And thank you soooo much for the journal.

User Info Menu

Just want to do a quick review on a couple of pictures in the slide show. PLEASE, stop for a minute or three to admire the mural that decorates a significant length of a wall as you head to immigration. The artwork is outstanding. My error for not getting the name of the artist.

I decided to stay overnight in Ocho Rios at a lovely guesthouse I spotted on TripAdvisor. I am soooo grateful for the Airbnb & TripAdvisor rental sites. I connected with the owner, Hugh, about a month prior to my reach so we got to be pretty close. He picked me up from the jerk centre, stopped at the market to buy coke for the rum then drove to his house. I didn’t realize he was about a 7 minute’s drive going up from the main road, but once I got to his place it was all good.

I met his wife, the sweet Miss Beth. She and I clicked immediately. After settling in, she poured me a strong, and badly needed, rum & coke while my first meal was being heated. The soup, prepared by Hugh, was delicious. Beth and I talked while I ate. Within the first hour of being there, I felt like I was home.

User Info Menu

Besides designing & making bathing suits, Beth has gardening skills!!! Her personal favorites are her orchids. Before arriving I offered to bring them both a thank you gift. Hugh asked for spicy nuts and Beth requested “clips” to support the orchids. I didn’t venture down to the back yard to photo the orchids but I promise to do so next time.

There were five other women from Kingston staying at the guesthouse. They were attending a religious retreat. That evening, one of the younger ladies received devastating news that her father passed suddenly. I joined them in consoling her and listening to thoughts she needed to share.

I had to leave them when my friend showed up for a quick visit. We chatted for about an hour. Before leaving she made me promise not to skip Ocho Rios any more. I told her now that I found Hugh’s & Beth’s place I just might put staying one or two nights back on the agenda. Might.

Hugh & Beth were the perfect host & hostess. They went out of their way to make my brief stay a memorial one. The delightful and caring couple just started renting rooms this year. I will be happy to forward their page to anyone interested in guesthouse accommodations in Ocho Rios.

After a quick bite, I retired to my room to dream about Portland…

User Info Menu

This is Knutsford Express busdriver, Oral. Forth time riding with him but first time we spoke. I think he felt some kind of way when I started videoing the ride through Annotto Bay. His questions gave me the feeling he thought I was from quality control sent to spy on him. “No darlin, I’m not that important. Besides I feel more comfortable with your driving compared to the other drivers.” He relaxed when I said that. So once in Portland, he posed for a couple of pictures and ask me to write a review regarding his driving. Here’s the photo of 24 year old Oral…review coming soon.

User Info Menu