Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Walking the Beach at night vs the Road.

User Info Menu

Walking the Beach at night vs the Road.

Hello everyone. I have been going between Christmas and New Year's to Negril for the past 18 years. I always walk the beach to the concerts at night and then back again on the beach to our hotel. I have never walked the road at night. The first visit to Negril, I was scared to death to walk the beach at night but then I got used to it and never really was again concerned. I have read posts about the safety of the beach at night and recommendations to walk on the road at night instead. If I am missing something, someone please tell me. Have others had problems walking the beach at night? I never have but would like to be armed with knowledge if anyone wishes to share.

User Info Menu

Re: Walking the Beach at night vs the Road.

Check out my post, we just got back yesterday. We had two bartenders tell us to walk back to hotel via the road and stay off the beach. We figured if Jamaicans are telling us to stay off beach, then its best to stay off beach. We have done this the last two trips, Feb and just the most recent and never had any probs on roadside. Bartender told us Kingston gang boys congregating at certain resorts which I won't name but they play music at night which is the attraction.

User Info Menu

New Years / Christmas there's a ton of things going on and a lot more people walking back and forth on the beach and a lot more eyes.

This time of year - it's not like that and I wouldn't walk the beach at night.

User Info Menu

I tend to stick to the road but for Xmas/NYE, I walk the beach -- either way, I am always with a group. For NYE, the beach is lit up with Xmas lights and bonfires, it almost looks like its day time.

People are told to avoid the beach because there are lots of dark sections where somebody who wants to do you harm could be lurking.