Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Question

User Info Menu

Wifi Question

This may seem a silly question but I have never used wifi anywhere out of my home or at least not had to set it up myself.
    How easy is it to connect in Jamaica? Do I just get a code and it shows as an available network and I type the code in?
    How is wifi at The seastar inn?
    Will it only work very close to the office?

User Info Menu

The wifi at Seastar is great in any room or anywhere on the property for that matter. There are several repeaters arond the place.

When you check in Samantha will give you the login password. Log in and tell your laptop to remember the network and it will work as long as you're there.

I've been able to do IT work to the US every time I've stayed.

Wish it had been that way in my days......Might still be living there.

If you have a hard time Captain Rob will wave a magic wand at it........
    Last edited by captaind; 10-15-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Thank you captaind not sure why I was worried this is SEASTAR afterall they got it all covered.

User Info Menu

Glad you asked tictoc..I have never had a laptop before, only a desktop. Just purchased a laptop and considering taking it this trip. Hoping it won't be too much of a hassle...I really want to take it but hope that it won't be a hassle....of course, since it's new, I worry about something happening to it. I have some time to think about it....right now, leaning towards taking it. SO, your question was quite informative to me...thanks Captain...I really had no clue how to get a wifi connection in JA..at least now, I have a bit of a clue. LOL

Thanks guys for helping...

User Info Menu

We took our laptop with us... We were able to get the wifi easy at the Treehouse. In this day and age, you never know what kind of information you may need to access. I was so glad we had it with us because my younger son came down with an incredeble headache one afternoon, and I researched sun stroke....I was able to treat him with out having to rush him to the ER, and I knew what to look for if he didn't improve. I don't neccessarily recommend that for everybody, but it was an valuable tool for me. Watch out for that Jamaican sun....it can be very intense.
    FDR Runaway Bay 2006, FDR Runaway Bay 2007, Treehouse Negril 2011

User Info Menu

There is more readily accessible wifi in Negril than many US cities.
    That being said, anyone know how good the wifi is at Charela Inn?
    We will be there in December but haven't stayed there since i started bringing my MacBook.

User Info Menu

This time we are going to get a digicel internet modem for our lap top..so we will get back to everyone on this while we are there..Just like the jamaican phone we have we will just get the minutes when we pull into town... to be announced....that way no matter where we stay internet or not we will always have access~

User Info Menu

I really want to take it but hope that it won't be a hassle....of course, since it's new, I worry about something happening to it. I have some time to think about it....right now, leaning towards taking it.
    There are a few theft-deterring items to chose from for items like laptops, computers etc. Google to find them. I liked Stop Theft...

User Info Menu

Ras Walleye...Charlea Inn has a password protected wifi....you will have no problem. Also Idle Awhile next door also has it so you have a few options.

User Info Menu

I use my ipod touch regularly in Jamaica via wifi. Works great for staying in touch with emails and Facebook and occasional internet surfing. The best part is it fits in your pocket and you don't have to lug your laptop through the airport