Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Callaloo is done for another season'

User Info Menu

Callaloo is done for another season'

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  20.3 KBWe've been having great luck with callaloo in our garden buts it's all done for another year, calling for frost tonight so we've picked our last harvest!!
    Last edited by Dan&Sue; 10-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Callaloo is done for another season'

Are you growing Callaloo in Ontario, just caught off guard when you said calling for frost - it's definitely chilly here depending where you are.

How long did it take you to grow it, them stalks are huge !

User Info Menu

We had a great crop of Callaloo here in northeast Ohio as well.
    Lost my wife in the garden with the plants being so lush and tall.
    Tastee too. We are near lake Erie so no frost yet.

User Info Menu

My dad grows it in Maryland. He cuts, washes, dries and then freezes bags of it so hopefully we will still have some of that yummy green goodness when our winter finally hits. He also grows scotch bonnet peppers and gungo peas.

User Info Menu

Where did you get the seeds? We were unable to find Callaloo in PA.

User Info Menu

I had the same problem Negrildreaming. I checked all the seed catalogs here in the US but couldn't find any. Finally I got some on Ebay. I just checked Ebay but only 2 look like callaloo to me. One is for $3.00 and the other is $4.00. It seeds itself so once you plant it you'll never have to plant again. Just remember what the seedlings look like so you're not growing weeds instead of callaloo.

User Info Menu

we got our seeds in Negril.
    There is a garden center by St Anthony's kitchen.
    also a hardware store near canoe had them. $1.00 a pack. The packages are sealed so no problem bring to the states

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negrildreaming View Post
    PM me and if my dad has extra packs of seeds I will mail a pack to you. I am visiting them tomorrow and will know for sure then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negrildreaming View Post
    Calaloo is really " green amaranth" you can get seeds from Johnny's seeds out of Maine . They are online and have a red version as well . Our farm has had a Jamaican crew for 30 years and we have been growing it ever since they have worked here. Originally got the seeds from my crew . Interesting they like to take the seeds produced here in NH back to Jamaica because it grows better . It is illegal to transport seeds so be careful
    Farmer

User Info Menu

I will be moving to N. Carolina in early 2017 and I am hoping to grow a small garden. I adore Calaloo and would love to have it more than once a year when I visit Jamaica! What are the growing conditions needed for the plants? Many thanks.