Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vacation.......... A noun or a verb?

User Info Menu

Re: Vacation.......... A noun or a verb?

Quote Originally Posted by Momthor3 View Post
    Bill your word pictures of Accompong inspired me to visit last Feb and I am so glad we did!! I love the way you write it's like I could close my eyes and be there!! It really helps when your next reach is booked but still a long ways away...
    Thank you Momthor3,
    Yes, Accompong Town is a very special place. I don't take a lot of pictures anymore because, when you live here, you have to "fit in" and not be a "tourist" especially pictures of people. As I said to Jitters, there seems to always be a movie playing in my head so I am able to sort of rewind it and relive it but it also compels me to write it down. Rob has been so generous over the years to provide me with a place to put them. Sometimes I go to the link to those old threads in my signature below and relive them again. Jamaica (especially Accompong Town) seems to be the only place where the movie plays all day and all night!

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Saturday morning early before sunrise and I just laid in bed listening to the muted sounds of people getting ready for their day on the West End of Negril. What was missing? Ahhh, it was the sound of chickens squawking as they fluttered from the trees where they roosted for the night to avoid a stray dog and the call of a she goat summoning her brood for an early taste of a mother's milk. I smiled a knowing smile that those sounds will go on in my absence and that for the next four nights I will miss going to sleep to the lullaby of crickets chirping and frogs croaking throughout the night.
    Name:  bedroom.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  10.1 KB
    No one else was stirring in the house but I can never seem to sleep in late so I quietly got dressed, opened the door and parted the magnetic curtains to the verandah and settled in my chair to await the sunrise and experience Negril waking from her sleep. One by one over the next hour my fellow housemates got up and joined me on the verandah. The smell of coffee brewing was coming from the kitchen. Time for a cup and to make plans for another day.
    Name:  verandah.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  9.0 KB
    We decided to go to SeaStar for the buffett and show but when I called, I found out there was neither happening that night. Bummer. Guess we will just have to give "Killer" a call for his delicious Jerk Chicken to be delivered for dinner (His number is 296-1682 should you want to give him a try). We asked for a delivery sometime around 4pm and no later than 5pm so we could plan our day around it. We got two chickens (8 quarter chickens) plus sides of calalloo and bread plus a bottle of his special Jerk Sauce delivered for $4000 Jamaican. We tipped him another $1000 as he has no car and pays route taxi fares to get to us and he has to make a little bratta for his efforts.

Between entertaining some friends, reading a book and using the FLOW Internet, my day was full and then dinner arrived. We had so much food that we invited Killer to join us for dinner and had enough leftovers for chicken sandwiches with Jerk Sauce on Sunday.
    Name:  computer.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  10.9 KB
    Sunday and Monday were pretty much a replay of Saturday and we even decided to do the Killer Chicken again for Monday's dinner. We just couldn't find a good reason to go anywhere when we had almost anything we wanted or needed at our fingertips or within a close walk to a nearby store.
    Name:  house.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  11.7 KB
    Tuesday would be Mary and my last night in Negril as she was going home and I was returning to Accompong Town on Wednesday. We finally made a plan to do something. We decided to go out for dinner on Tuesday night and we decided on the Canoe Bar. Who says that four people with five opinions can't decide on anything!

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Today I bought a beautiful square Gombe drum for a good friend that was made in Accompong Town and just wanted to share a picture.
    Name:  SAM_0293.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  87.7 KB
    Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Tuesday morning on the verandah felt strange. Long faces had replaced the regular sleepy-eyed faces of our group. This was our last day together and already the inevitability of parting ways was weighing heavily on all of us. The coffee was strong and was helping. Breakfast was easy as the leftover Killer Chicken was cleaned from the bone and liberally bathed in Killer's Jerk Sauce for chicken sandwiches with just a dab of mayonaise.

Mary and I retired to our rooms to start packing up stuff we wouldn't be using before leaving the following morning. Rasta Freddy was working on a couple of gifts for Mary on the back stoop. He had a coffee stick cane which he was finish sanding and polishing as well as putting the finishing touches on a cat carving Mary had chosen from his craft market stall the day before.

I finished up first and joined Penny on the verandah to share some coconut water with a shot of JB Rum when Penny asked me to give our friend Luther a call for a ride down and back from the Canoe. She reminded me that we should go early so Luther could get some fares to and from sunset at Rick's Cafe while we ate. We decided on 4:00pm as the time to go then I called Luther and arranged for a pickup.

We arrived at Canoe only to find it was closed for painting so Luther suggested we go across the street to Quality's Sea Breeze restaurant. I had always wanted to give it a try anyways so I was happy with the choice. When we got there, we were the only customers so we ordered right away and have some time drinking a beer or two before the food arrived.

The waitress was intentive to our needs and she was right there everytime we needed something. We had cold beers around on the first order but I got a Rum Punch on the second round. We didn't have a chance to talk with Quality until he finished cooking the meals and we were too engrossed with the delicious food to talk until after we finished.

We only managed to get three pictures of the meals so here they are. I normally don't eat meat (except for Killer's Chicken!) so I ordered a fish sandwich and french fries. I particularly liked the coleslaw in a lettuce leaf cup. Both the sandwich and fries were cooked to perfection.
    Name:  1IMG_1831.JPG
Views: 368
Size:  96.6 KB
    Mary got Curry Chicken as she travels often to India and loves the curry flavoring. She remarked that the fresh vegetable selection was very tasty and the rice and peas she mixed in with the curry sauce was very good too. She said that if she were staying longer, she would be coming back for another meal.
    Name:  2IMG_1827.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  46.0 KB
    Rasta Freddy, being a Rastafarian, ordered fish with fresh vegetables and rice and peas. He gave the meal good marks and said that only a very few places in Negril cook fish the way he likes it and that he won't eat anywhere that meat comes in contact with the fish. Quality assured him that he understands that and cooks fish separate from everything else.
    Name:  3IMG_1829.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  42.0 KB
    Rasta Freddy suddenly shouted to a peanut man who was passing by the restaurant. He serves up roasted peanuts in a cone shaped wrapper made from a paper bag. I don't eat peanuts but Freddy bought one for me anyways. While they were lying on the table, we talked about how in the days before the readily available rolling papers, people used paper bags to roll a spliff. With that, Mary picked up one of the peanut cones and put it in her mouth and I supplied the lighter for the picture. Sure to be a classic with us.
    Name:  IMG_1823.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  50.4 KB
    We chatted with Quality for about an hour and I found we had a lot of friends in common both in Negril and elsewhere on the island. I don't eat out very often but this restaurant is on my short list. It was about dark and Luther pulled in to pick us up for the ride back to Y Worry Cottage.

We shared a last drink of JB and coconut water before turning in. Mary got up first and gave me a hug. She told me that this was the best vacation she had taken in a long time. I told her that it is always good to stay connected with those people who knew you best. After this trip, we knew each other just a little bit better.

We assembled again on the verandah to await my ride back to Accompong Town and Mary's ride to the airport from Killer's brother, Gary. Both drivers had agreed upon a 9:00am pickup time and both arrived together at 8:30am. I love it when people are early.

Goodbyes all around and we went our separate ways with a pledge to get together again as soon as possible.

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

My friend and neighbor Reggae Singer Mystic Bowie https://web.facebook.com/mysticbowie has just left Accompong Town to go back on tour. His efforts to teach the children about their Culture continues to grow.

This just demonstrates what a man with a passion can accomplish. As they say in Jamaica, "Every mickle makes a muckle"

Peace and Guidance
    https://web.facebook.com/mysticbowie...type=3&theater

User Info Menu

Once again I am smiling at your post. Our trip to Quality's was very tasty as well and I would recommend to all I also wondered if your driver Luther is same one I know. Tall Rasta, great guy. Very safe driver! I am impatiently waiting for Feb to arrive. It's getting cold here in Canada!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Momthor3 View Post
    Once again I am smiling at your post. Our trip to Quality's was very tasty as well and I would recommend to all I also wondered if your driver Luther is same one I know. Tall Rasta, great guy. Very safe driver! I am impatiently waiting for Feb to arrive. It's getting cold here in Canada!!!
    I think we are talking about the same Luther. He has been a good, personal friend for almost 20 years. Actually, it has been a little cold here in Accompong Town the past three nights..... and windy too!

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Although I am very happy to be here in Accompong Town, I am so looking for a two week vacation in Negril in about a month from now.

I am glad I decided to divide up my three month stay between Negril and Accompong Town. I only wish I had put Treasure Beach in there somewhere!

Negril soon come!

User Info Menu

I arrived in Negril on Monday afternoon when I hitched a ride in a vehicle carrying produce to the Sav Market from Accompong Town. I am a little sad leaving my home in Accompong Town but I am also looking forward to my 13 day "vacation" in Negril at Y Worry Cottages https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/11178990
    Name:  acc102.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  100.0 KBName:  SAM_0309.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  59.1 KB
    During the last 10 days or so I have been hanging a lot with a couple from Germany (Matti and Lena) and a couple from London who were staying at our house in Accompong Town (Kareem and Amanda originally from Chile). And when I got here, there was another couple from England who were from France originally (Eleanor and Brice). Normally a solitary type of person, I do enjoy meeting people from other countries.

I brought down a good selection of earth foods and with Rasta Freddy's cooking talents, some culinary masterpieces were coming from the kitchen.
    Name:  SAM_0310.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  68.9 KBName:  SAM_0311.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  72.8 KB

I am going to get out a little more later tonight and tomorrow so I hope to have more to add then.

Peace and Guidance