Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaican Bank Notes

User Info Menu

Jamaican Bank Notes

I've been visiting Jamaica for thirty years. I remember the first couple visits, a red stripe would cost about $2JA or $2.50JA. You would get change back in Jamaican cent coins. Back then the paper money was different sizes, the bigger the bill, the larger the physical size of the bill. A $20 JA bill would take you places. Then the Bank of Jamaica issued standard size currency. Over the years, the $1, $2, $5, $10, and $20 notes disappeared, being replaced with coins. Now the B of J has issued a $5,000 note.
    Just wondering if anybody has had one, and what are the experiences in trying to spend it. Most of us know you have to use some strategy to keep your supply of $100JA notes up, they always seem in short supply. There must be some funny (or not so funny) experiences trying to use a $5000JA note.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The $5000j note is kinda hard to come by, even in a cambio or bank. I asked for them the other day at NCB and they only had 4 at my teller. They are used mainly to pay large JPS bills and the like. They have a clear plastic window near the middle of the note, to differentiate them quickly from the $500, which is surprisingly easy to do.

When the $5000 first came out, pretty much every store in Negril posted signs that they would not accept the note and/or make change for it, but this quickly became a moot point since you never saw one in circulation anyways.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

On my last visit my son had 16 of them that he got in Sav. He was paying the contractor for work at the yard. Hugh Shearer is on the note.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness