Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you give up to get to Negril

User Info Menu

There is no exchanging of Christmas, Birthday & Anniversary presents between myself & my husband. And, I shop at Aldi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    We sold our car. (we live in San Francisco - parking garage rental costs 300$ a month - not to mention the cost of insurance)
    I walk to work every day instead of taking the bus (A 45 minute walk, lots of hills.. phew!). Pack all my lunches.
    Clarity! . . . I really wish more people had your can-do attitude and focus . . . you go girl!

K3
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    There is no exchanging of Christmas, Birthday & Anniversary presents between myself & my husband. And, I shop at Aldi
    sometimes asda can be cheaper then Aldi

User Info Menu

November will be our 6th trip in 2-1/2 yrs. Everytime I come home from Negril, I look at our master bath, and guest bath and wish it were remodeled...but if I did that, then I can't back to Negril as often.

Last year, we lightened up on Christmas and same with this year. Kids are all grown and have to learn that now it is about Dad and I. You all have jobs We have a life to live now.

We too pay for a lot of expenses on American Express and pay it off each month. Used that money before to buy the airfare which helps. Make our money work for us. You just have to be disciplined to pay it off each month and watch the points rack up.

Love the quote that you never see a hearse followed by a U-Haul. We live for today and plan for tomorrow. None of us know what life holds tomorrow. And while we are able bodied and financially able to travel...we will.
    Last edited by Aud-A-Sea; 10-17-2011 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

It is a challenge! My new job pays less than my old job, and the cost of rent, food, subway, electric, phone and cable just keeps going up. What I sacrifice so that I can travel is staying in the same tiny studio apartment that I have been in since 1997, not shopping for anything unless I really need (not want) it and not going out on the town. I would rather travel each year than live in a nice place--though hopefully at some point in my life I will be able to do both.

User Info Menu

We've been giving up Thanksgiving with the family for 6 years now. I have money deducted out of every paycheck that goes directly into a savings account. This way we will never not have the money when it is time to book a flight. We have changed our length of stay and accomodations depending on how much we have at departure time, but the money needs to be there in April to get those cheap seats on the plane.
    Legends BananaShout HardingHall Xtabi NBCC RondellVillage

User Info Menu

I do alot of the same things as others, save change, bag lunch, coffee in a travel mug... I also have a TFSA (Tax Free Savings Acct) that is set up to take one dollar everytime I swipe my debit card from my chequing! There are things around the house I would like to update but unless they're broken I'm not doing it. I see a palm tree everytime I think about it for a split second, lol! Need not want is the key and I NEED Jamaica, lol

User Info Menu

My husband and I do not buy gifts for each other. The money we would have spent on birthdays, anniversary, Christmas goes in to the "vacation" savings account that does not get used for anything else. Also my husbands Mom gives us money gifts for those special days and that goes in too! Any unexpected check that comes in the mail (from insurance company, etc) goes in too! I also stop and think before buying anything (clothes, shoes, etc) and say "do I really need it?" It is getting harder and harder as things get more expensive so the trips may become more infrequent but we will keep trying.

User Info Menu

I give up not seeing the kids and Miss Izel. I give up not sitting at the bar at Seastar, talking with Chris and drinking JB poured by Alvin.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

No extra trips for long weekends, cut down on shopping, just anything to get there!