Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Residency

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Residency

Sooo....... All I have to do is marry a Jamaican ????

User Info Menu

I dream about this all the time - being able to grow/raise/spear everything I need to eat, no 2kg boots, no snowblower, wearing out work machetes. I figure I could learn to live without an endless supply of Costco paper towels - then I wonder what I would do about healthcare and I am snapped back to reality. But real mangoes, almonds and goat meat! back into the dream....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    However, At age 74 I can't imagine I'll be spending more that 100 days a year on Zion Hill

Cap
    I totally relate to this post. When I was spending 6 months at a time in Jamaica I was (for the most part) either living on or near a beach or on otherwise flat land. I am a few years younger but I can't imagine spending more than 100 days a year on Hilltop Road in Accompong Town.

The physical rigors of the up and down the hills takes it's toll and sometimes 100 days feels like a year.

Living a mere 1hr and 40 min from Jamaica in Florida gives me the best of both worlds.

There are just some things that need to be done that become too much of a problem in Jamaica.

I will continue to travel once or twice a year to Jamaica for 90 days each time until I am no longer able to do so.

Living full time in Jamaica; 365 days a year no longer interests me.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob and everybody else. Does marrying a Jamaican lead to automatic Green Card / Residency in JA or are there still lots of roadblocks in the way??

Odinson, The question is quantity or quality??? Do you want to live a long long time with a less than great quality of life or do you want to enjoy the years you have left having fun and being in a place you really want to be. Off the beaten path in JA you can buy land much less expensive than most everywhere in the US. Depending on who you live with (Family or alone) you can build a really nice place for way less than NA. That is the tough choice. All this is based on getting your paperwork.

I have a friend in the states who I have traveled to JA many times and we often have this conversation. I think being without a lot of money would be easier to deal with in JA then the same situation here. Out in the country you can grow your own food and herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc.. Even the downtrodden in JA are often happy despite their plight. We're not talking downtown in a city but in the country or mountains or even Negril if you can figure out how to do it.

Name:  Mavis Bank Coffee Country.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  97.1 KB

User Info Menu

I think that it is a kind of a natural mystic kind of feeling ...........to dream .........>>about living in paradise

Administrator

User Info Menu

johng.

Just as in most countries, it is not automatic. There are forms to file, fees to pay and interviews to attend.

Have fun! (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Haha, I'm not saying marrying a Jamaican is out of the question! Now, to find the right guy! Hahahahha

I have to say, I disagree that living with less would be a easier in JA. The start up fees would be killer! After that, you could probably do with less. And of course, having a good back up fund for when things go south with your crops and livestock! Living with less is difficult anywhere! Speaking realistically... of course, I see your implied point.

User Info Menu

and...........always remember>>>if you have the money............you can do anything>>>>..<<<....when one door is closed...>
    many more r open
    Last edited by JDd; 11-14-2016 at 08:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Odinson, The question is quantity or quality??? Do you want to live a long long time with a less than great quality of life or do you want to enjoy the years you have left having fun and being in a place you really want to be. Off the beaten path in JA you can buy land much less expensive than most everywhere in the US. Depending on who you live with (Family or alone) you can build a really nice place for way less than NA. That is the tough choice. All this is based on getting your paperwork.

I have a friend in the states who I have traveled to JA many times and we often have this conversation. I think being without a lot of money would be easier to deal with in JA then the same situation here. Out in the country you can grow your own food and herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc.. Even the downtrodden in JA are often happy despite their plight. We're not talking downtown in a city but in the country or mountains or even Negril if you can figure out how to do it.

Name:  Mavis Bank Coffee Country.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  97.1 KB
    It all sounds so nice.... in a Polyanna sort of way but the realities of living in Jamaica are not as easy as one thinks. We all have a little knowledge about Negril and the high cost of living there.

From your post I don't know if you are talking about Negril or somewhere out on the island. You talk about land being cheaper so I assume you mean in rural Jamaica so I will limit this comment to "off the beaten path" as you put it.

The fact is that as a foreigner buying a piece of property and building a house in those areas can be quite dangerous. Even returning Jamaican residents become targets when they bring their foreign-earned money home and build a house even in their own original community.

Being without a lot of money in Jamaica is not (in my opinion) easier that being at home without lots of money. You ask Odinson if it is Quantity or Quality?? That begs the assumption that living in Jamaica might not bring you "Quantity" of life but rather "Quality".

In my community a lot of people are poor as a church mouse but live into their 90's. I think a good number would trade some years to live a better Quality of life like having more money etc. Not everyone considers living a long time "Quality" by scratching out an existence; growing their own food, herbs etc.
    Even the downtrodden in JA are often happy despite their plight.
    For the life of me, I can't understand that statement. "downtrodden"? "plight"? You say you are not talking about the cities so can you explain what you mean by those two terms? Are you saying "poor Jamaicans are happy"? I would guess that they are not happy being poor but rather happy to be alive rather than the alternative.

I think that marrying a Jamaican for residency is probably the easiest way to get the residence but I also think, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!"

Just my opinion.

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Wow, where do I start??? I feel like I have to defend myself about simple honest comments that I have made.

The Downtrodden in JA are happy despite their plight: Speaking about country folk who posses far more optimism about their situations in life than many Americans do is the basis for my comment. These are often people very poor in a monetary sense but not in a life sense. They make the best of the situation. The positive vibrations of Jamaica are known worldwide.

Odinson dreaming about life in Jamaica and then being snapped back to the reality of Healthcare. Well as I stated this is with the assumption one has been through the residency process and it had been successfully achieved. We all will one day die, yes I am sure somebody will argue that point too, so the question is does one achieve his / her dreams by going for it or sit around wondering what if??? That I hope clarifies any confusion about my meaning of quantity vs quality. As Peter Tosh said "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die". His words not mine!!

The very topic about the lack of essential emergency services thread from a few weeks ago I believe Accompong you had commented on how you have several health issues and that you would choose Mandeville Hospital if you had the time to get there. You have the good fortune to be able to travel back in forth between Florida and JA. You do have the best of both worlds.

Buying land and building a home can be dangerous, yes that is true but so is there danger everywhere and someone making the effort to get his / her residency would, I hope have a grasp on what they are getting themselves into. But I argue your point as being your personal opinion not necessarily backed by facts. The high murder rate in JA I do not believe is fueled by murdering new land owners who build a house, yes perhaps it happens but random violence is universal.

Jamaican women are awesome (my opinion) and if the circumstances were right (and I wasn't already married) it would be well worth checking out.

Last but not least landing on your feet in Negril in today's economy and world probably would be a large challenge unless one had a substantial amount of cash. Like anywhere the further one moves away from a higher cost of living area (The resort town of Negril) the greater the opportunity to find a cool spot that works for them. So dream on folks and hopefully we all find a place that makes us happy!!

Name:  Dreamer, nothing but a dreamer.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  27.8 KB