Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jamaican Residency

User Info Menu

Re: Jamaican Residency

right on JOHNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Buying land and building a home can be dangerous, yes that is true but so is there danger everywhere and someone making the effort to get his / her residency would, I hope have a grasp on what they are getting themselves into.
    JohnG...since you were addressing Accompong, Accompong may address the rest of your post if he so chooses...I could write for days on this topic and I'm sure you can imagine what Rob could share after 25 years.

But, I'd like to simply comment on the line that you wrote above.
    One of the most common problems is exactly in what you mentioned...unfortunately, many don't have a grasp on what they're getting into and Accompong only touched on it ever so slightly.

Live the dream but live it wisely!

User Info Menu

johng,

What I wrote was not a personal attack and it wasn't meant as a challenge for you to defend. Whenever anyone makes sweeping statements that I consider counter to my experiences or those of others I know personally, I simply voice my opinion. Nothing more.

I didn't comment on other parts of your statement because I don't have enough personal experience enough to know if they are generally accurate or not. I only pointed out that living in remote, rural areas even for Jamaicans relocating from affaren or corporate areas can be quite dangerous. Not necessarily from loss of life but praedial larceny, theft and intimidation. A foreigner living his dream in those areas can even present more challenges. Access to markets for the things you grow can be difficult and higglers who come to you to buy often "extort" (my word) bratta from the seller. An example: If you want to sell 100 pounds of yams, the buyers want 12 pounds take away to make the deal. In other words, you have to give 112 pounds to sell 100. This is very common in rural areas.

I don't know much about living in areas like Negril so I didn't comment on that other than say it is expensive. Perhaps there you can fit in more easily if you have enough money to throw at the problems you most probably will encounter.

Marrying a Jamaican for residency is, of course, against the law but hard to prove if that was the reason for the marriage. My advice to anyone considering this would be not to do it but, if you did, make sure you get your Jamaican residency before bringing that significant other to your home country. "Opportunity is a scarce, scarce commodity" and once someone gets that opportunity their need to reciprocate diminishes.

Furthermore, it is hard to comment on your post because I don't know of your actual experiences in Jamaica. I know you have gone many times (I think) over many years as have I but I don't know if you have extensive experience in living rural for longer than a few weeks at a time.

I have a neighbor here in Accompong Town which will go unnamed. He fell in love with Accompong Town and in lust with a local woman. A marriage ensued and soon she went to the US and he subsequently came on trips to build his dream cottages on family land. The cottages are here, he is not. Her dream has come true and his dream has turned into a nightmare surrounded by tall weeds and macca. Many a dream has ended up this way.

Of course, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do with a move to Jamaica. The first six months are the hardest and the next six months a little better. If you have the resources to last that first year without any income or return on your investment or crops, you have a good chance to make it.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Well thanks Accompong glad to know some of your thoughts relative to points of view. My original comments suggested finding an alternative to New England weather and the Yankee mindset. Very difficult to understand if you have never lived here. Winters can be very cold from November through May in some instances. Finding a place to go for those months would be nice. I do not think I said a 12 month resident but if permanent residency is required for more than 90 days than so be it. I have a large lot in north east New England that is beautiful in almost every way but as I previously noted would be perfect from May through November, 7 months. So if I can find Paradise South to go with Paradise North I'll be in great shape. I have lived in Jamaica several times for 6 to 8 weeks at a stretch mostly in Portland in the Mountains. From 1975 through current day I have entered JA at least 40 times the shortest stay being 2 weeks.

Name:  Paradise South.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  98.0 KBName:  Paradise South two.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  71.1 KBName:  Paradise South three.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  90.6 KB

(Post edited to remove non Negril or Jamaica related photos)

User Info Menu

Johng...you can stay up to 180 days in a calendar year as a visitor...permanent residency is not required for this amount of time.
    The Jamaican airport immigration will stamp you for no more than 90 days...you then may request an extension of stay for another 90 (or less) days at the Montego Bay or Kingston immigration services...extra fees & requirements involved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Off the beaten path in JA you can buy land much less expensive than most everywhere in the US. Depending on who you live with (Family or alone) you can build a really nice place for way less than NA.
    Can you actually build for less? Everything I've seen (which admittedly isn't a great deal) would make me think that construction costs would be higher due to costlier materials and finishings. Labor is cheaper, of course, but with most materials being imported I've always understood costs to be higher by the time the project is completed. (Of course that assumes construction of a house roughly on NA standards.)

Administrator

User Info Menu

jon c,

The costs to build are not necessarily higher, the labour costs can make up for any higher costs of materials and finishing. The real problem is when the owner does not do their "homework" and ends up spending much more for materials and labour. I have seen many foreigners receive incredible information from credible local contractors and even other successful foreigners here, only to see them ignore that excellent advice. The owner can end up paying triple the cost for not following that assistance. Do your homework and please listen to others who know the business or have been there before and have been successful.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

everything is relative>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...you can build anything for" less" ......................how much work are you willing to do

User Info Menu

i might even come help you >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...i will>>>if you buy the beer

User Info Menu

So to confirm, if u r American and own Jamaican apartment, have a TRN and pay Jamaican property taxes u can only stay maximum 6 months in calendar year or u have to follow residency process?