Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Blue Drawers

User Info Menu

Blue Drawers

Wifi is for crap this trip, pics are taking way too long to upload. If you have not yet tried Blue Drawers (aka tie a leaf), see if you can get someone to make some for you. They are not a bad breakfast treat, but incredibly heavy. I had mine chilled, gave one to a staff member here, she heated it. Basically, a large dumpling made with (well, this batch) corn meal, coconut milk, all spice and other goodies, wrapped in banana leaf and boiled. I personally think they would be fantastic with cream, our friends on this trip think a caramel sauce.

I'll post a picture when I'm at a decent connection spot.

User Info Menu

Re: Blue Drawers

I'm hanging on by a wifi thread at Home Sweet Home. Coco la Palm had great wifi in all the rooms and they had an American (I suppose) tech guy working the property.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Name:  IMG_0974.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  92.2 KB

User Info Menu

Going to have to remember that likkle treat!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

DO any restaurants sell these in Negril? I have always wanted to try them.

User Info Menu

We got ours at sharks. I've never seen them on any menu. It seems like it's one of those things that have to be made in batches due to the work that goes into the preparation. A pastry shop might have them.

User Info Menu

Where did the name come from? There's nothing blue about them. And where is Shark's?

User Info Menu

across from tensing pen

User Info Menu

I have had these before , couldn't remember the name . We had them at a drum festival in Belmont a few years ago . Very heavy with a subtle flavour . At the time I was having the Blue Drawers I was drinking a mixture of 50/50 cucumber and carrot juice with a hint of ginger , don't know what that was called but it wasn't too bad . At this festival they were also selling Parrot fish which is rarely seen for sale anymore .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M&G Montreal View Post
    Where did the name come from? There's nothing blue about them. And where is Shark's?
    No clue where the name comes from. They were featured on a recent cooking show, and spoken about on other boards, so,we asked Juliette to make some for us.

Sharks is across from tensing Pen. Juliette is sharks wife, and she is a really good cook. Twice now I've asked for something off menu, and gotten it with a relative quickness. they don't always have the full menu, but they do have a good cook, and good conversation. This is a,place that is really trying to do something, give them a chance if you are in the area.