Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I guess they actually do remember you.

User Info Menu

I guess they actually do remember you.

So we've all heard the ubiquitous "I remember you" when travelling to the island. To me, it's always been good customer service, and a way to make the buyer (me) feel a little more special, or maybe to spend a few more dollars. Either way, don't care, just always kind of laughed to myself about it.

Well, I was wrong. Lots of these people have damn good memories of who I am, and I got a case in point yesterday.

Last year, we bought a red velvet cake from Miss Connie at the country western bar (I'm told it was delicious, I don't care for red velvet). As it was not finished until the last day, and she was closed on our way to the airport, our regular driver said he would drop it off. Apparently, he forgot.

When we walked into Miss Connies place to buy banana cake and a chocolate cake this year, she said "I remember you... (I'm thinking, sure you do...) you had red velvet cake last year and did not bring back my plate!

Uh-oh.

She was extemely good natured about it, and my friend paid extra to cover the cost of the plate when ordering the cake this year. To be honest, I did not feel that was sufficient, and needed to do just a little more.

I had our taxi driver (not our usual guy, as I knew he was doing an airport run) stop at value master today, and I bought her six new plates . When we dropped them off, I even got a marriage proposal! Cake still wasn't ready, as this is after all, Jamaica time. Miss Connie apparently was pleased enough with the plates that I was considered husband material, if only for a moment or two.

Maybe two hours later, our regular driver shows up unannounced at the front desk, and we were told he was there. He had picked up the cake, and bought Miss Connie another three plates while at mega-mart today. Additionally, he made and brougt my wife a warm from the oven banana cake!

I'm never taking the "I remember you" for granted again, as apparently as quiet as we are, people do in fact remember us.

User Info Menu

Re: I guess they actually do remember you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussyband View Post
    So we've all heard the ubiquitous "I remember you" when travelling to the island. To me, it's always been good customer service, and a way to make the buyer (me) feel a little more special, or maybe to spend a few more dollars. Either way, don't care, just always kind of laughed to myself about it.

Well, I was wrong. Lots of these people have damn good memories of who I am, and I got a case in point yesterday.

Last year, we bought a red velvet cake from Miss Connie at the country western bar (I'm told it was delicious, I don't care for red velvet). As it was not finished until the last day, and she was closed on our way to the airport, our regular driver said he would drop it off. Apparently, he forgot.

When we walked into Miss Connies place to buy banana cake and a chocolate cake this year, she said "I remember you... (I'm thinking, sure you do...) you had red velvet cake last year and did not bring back my plate!

Uh-oh.

She was extemely good natured about it, and my friend paid extra to cover the cost of the plate when ordering the cake this year. To be honest, I did not feel that was sufficient, and needed to do just a little more.

I had our taxi driver (not our usual guy, as I knew he was doing an airport run) stop at value master today, and I bought her six new plates . When we dropped them off, I even got a marriage proposal! Cake still wasn't ready, as this is after all, Jamaica time. Miss Connie apparently was pleased enough with the plates that I was considered husband material, if only for a moment or two.

Maybe two hours later, our regular driver shows up unannounced at the front desk, and we were told he was there. He had picked up the cake, and bought Miss Connie another three plates while at mega-mart today. Additionally, he made and brougt my wife a warm from the oven banana cake!

I'm never taking the "I remember you" for granted again, as apparently as quiet as we are, people do in fact remember us.
    What a great story! I have Rasta friend along the White River in the Ochi area...he had moved on (I was told he went to Kingston). 3 years passed and this last fall, I was in the area...still thinking my friend was gone. I walked from the river out into the ocean...keep in mind my my back was to the river and all of a sudden I hear my name. I look back at my husband along the beach and he shrugs....I look toward the river and there was my friend! We all spent several days together laughing and relaxing.

User Info Menu

I agree, I always thought it was a ploy to get better tips. They meet so many tourists, they can't possibly remember. One year, a lady at a vendor table, near Margaritaville, said "hey you're back, I remember you". No, you dont. We normally stay at Rooms, way down the beach. I just laughed. She says, I used to sell down there, I can prove it. "you have mole on your lower leg". Sure enough, I do. I was amazed.
    Country Country 2001, Sunset at the Palms 2003, Point Village 2004, Couples Negril 2006, Point Village 2007, Country Country 2008, Rooms Negril 2009, Rooms Negril 2010, Treehouse Feb 2011, Breezes Oct 2011, Rooms Negril Feb 2012, Rooms Negril Feb 2013, Grand Lido July 2013, Rooms Feb 2014, Riu Palace Tropical Bay May 2014, Rooms Negril Feb 2015/Treehouse Feb 2015 , Rooms Feb 2016. ....Rooms Feb 2018, Beachcomber May 2018, Beachcomber Dec 2018.... Rooms Feb 2019...Beachcomber Nov 2019.

User Info Menu

My latest ploy is to give them grief if they ask if it's my first time, I act all offended then laugh.

User Info Menu

I get the "I remember you" often as we walk the beach. I tend to believe them because the tattoos on my back are pretty memorable to a Jamaican. One is the island of Jamaica with flag in middle with three little birds sitting on top. One is a Dr bird eating from lignum vitae (national bird and national flower) and the last is an amazing portrait tattoo of Bob Marley.

If they say it to me when I have my shirt on I am skeptical. Ha!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

The question is.........Can you remember him/her?

My response is "how you know me?'

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 11-22-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Nice story...fun thread, Hussyband!
    It's VERY true that you can be remembered even after years...it's often not the hustle that many think.
    But...on occasion...we'll be walking the beach and approached by someone (new in town) selling something.
    They'll generally start by welcoming us to Jamaica and in the near distance we more often than not, hear some laughter. We wait for the "sales pitch", then one of us asks, "so, when did you come to Negril?"
    The laughter in the distance becomes more audible and someone will generally yell in loud laughter, "they live here mon". You've got to love the Jamaican sense of humour!!

User Info Menu

I looked eerily similar to my sister (RIP) who had been traveling to Negril at least 3-4 times a year since the mid '80's.....people on the beach would always think I was her and would get upset if I didn't respond acknowledge them or let them know that "I was coming here" and then not accept the explanation that I was not who they thought I was.

User Info Menu

1993 my Ex and I are staying at Sandals Negril, we became close with the young lady on the entertainment staff. Fast forward 15 years, I'm divorced a few years and walking down the beach not far from Alfred's. A women calls out, " I know you", I'm thinking "here we go again". She see's my expression and says " no really, I remember you and your wife from Sandals in the early 1990's". I said "you got to be kidding me???"What was the name of my wife?" She says "Laura", she must have noticed the shocked look on my face! We chatted for a few minutes and she was glad that I remembered her and I was stunned she remembered me. After all I wasn't as thin as I was back in the early 90's!!!! Only in Negril!!!!

User Info Menu

It always amazed me when i took my morning walk on the beach and would be far from where we stayed and hear vendors and people who worked in other hotels say hey oldtimer and tell me they remembered me when i didnt or barely knew or remembered them. I would almost always test them and ask them how they knew me or where i stayed and almost everytime they truely did remember me. I guess when you make a living off tourists its easy to remember people