Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Gluten Free

User Info Menu

Gluten Free

This will be my first time visiting Negril. I was looking to buy groceries for our stay - does anyone know where I can get gluten-free items? or can suggest any restaurants who gluten-free? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Re: Gluten Free

My wife has problems with gluten, and we found that "gluten free" was not a well-understood term. So "no wheat, no flour" might be more helpful to say at restaurants. We'd also like to hear any good ideas for this.

User Info Menu

I'd bet that Quality would be able to accommodate easily. Most everything I've eaten there is naturally GF. Fish, lobster, rice, beans, veggies. Just make sure that he doesn't dust the fish or add flour to the sauce and you should be golden. Of course, can't beat cooking it yourself to know 100%.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

We try to go Gluten Free as well, we just avoid certain things.. however anything cooked in Jamaica makes you feel so healthy regardless
    Avoid awesome Kenny's Italian restaurant - delicious, but stomaches after were bloated.

User Info Menu

Drop by Canoe Bar......lots of gluten free items, also vegan. Cheers.

User Info Menu

I eat gluten, dairy, corn and soy free here at home in the US. But in Ja I eat whatever I want, excluding dairy which is always evil And I feel great there. I must say that if I ate bowl of spaghetti in Ja I'd probably regret it, but not like I would at home. I feel that I live in the wrong country - gluten, dairy, corn and soy are all too common in our food here, but that's a whole other topic... I also live in the wrong state - Wisconsin - too much dairy everywhere

Enjoy the Jamaican food and I agree with Moose, Quality is the place to go! YUMMY!

User Info Menu

We stayed at the Sea Star Inn on the cliffs several times. Our daughter is gluten free as well. The chefs there Delroy and I forget the day chefs name, but they understand food allergies, and if made aware of will cook you up a great gluten free meal.
    Also Sweat Spice is organic and understands food allergies. Chicken Lavish was also very understanding and accommodating.
    Places to avoid, where we had bad experiences with (gluten free) only was the German bar and Swordfish. The latter would always screw things up.

User Info Menu

I was just reading about Zimbali retreats... organic farm to table with gluten free options... a special occasion or special treat due to the cost, but could be an excellent experience for you. May try to squeeze it in next trip. Also, check in at Rasta ade... he does ital and I would like to think that most of the fresh veggies and meatless options have little-to-no gluten ingredients.

User Info Menu

I found that shopping for gluten free products was hit and miss over the last few years. I now bring my own bread, wraps, pasta, crackers etc to have at the apartment. We still enjoy going out but I'm careful what I order. The food in Jamaica is so wonderful, though I really miss eating coco bread and patties.