Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Be prepared for illness

User Info Menu

Re: Be prepared for illness

I heard a story similar to yours about 10 years ago. Talking to a gentleman on a shuttle bus between Mobay and Negril, he had been there 2 weeks prior, when he had a pain in his stomach. They called a Dr. and he sent him to the hospital in Mobay. It was appendicitis, and they wanted him to evacuate to Miami, because he was told "you don't want to have that surgery here". His wife had a heck of time trying to gather their belongings in enough time to take the trip with him. They had to max out all of their credit cards in order to get him out of there. Luckily for him, he was back a couple of weeks later as the resort he was staying let him use his unused vacation. That story always shook me.

One other time while in Negril, I became severely de-hydrated, too much sun and alcohol, and got really sick, I do believe I had heat stroke. I thought I had to make the trip to Mobay, but DH found some meds in the gift shop (of all places) that covered my symptoms. Thank goodness, but it still was a very scary situation for me.

We had friends who went for their honeymoon this summer. She was sick the whole time, had to have the nurse come in and give her IV's to the tune of $4,000+. Luckily they had insurance, placed a claim and were reimbursed.

I now purchase insurance whenever I go, but hope and pray I never have to use it. Thank you for sharing your story. I can't imagine what you had to go through and how frightening it must have been. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

User Info Menu

Get well soon Farmer!

User Info Menu

If there is time...they always strongly suggest that you go back home for medical care so as not to be a burden on the health care system here...as well...it's always better to be in your own country for recovery, costs and to avoid the international red tape.

User Info Menu

Check you health insurance also. I work for the federal government and my health insurance has international providers and provides evacuation to the nearest hospital that can manage your care under the same standards as in the US.

User Info Menu

I always buy Travelex insurance because it offers medical evacuation as well as care while there and it is primary. My daughter had appendicitis symptoms when we were on a trip to Alaska several years ago and Travlelex covered everything directly with no out of pocket to me, which was amazing. She didn't have appendicitis, as it turned out, but they still covered the initial doctor visit and the surgical consultation that doc referred her to.

They also sell a $49 "Transportation Pak" add-on that covers rental car collision insurance (CDW) IN JAMAICA which most credit cards do not cover.

I have Travelex again for our upcoming trip. They offer 3 plans with different amounts for medical evacuation, medical care, cancellation, baggage loss, etc. Ours was like $115 for all 3 of us.
    Last edited by ohliz; 12-16-2016 at 03:11 PM.

User Info Menu

why............... is it so hard to diagnose a problem with an appendix...really
    not just in jamaica ... but >>> u could die..waiting

User Info Menu

Great post Farmer and glad to see you are on the mend. I myself also get travel insurance anytime I leave the States, as you never know what could happen, case in point.

My wife came home with Zika in August and I was going to write a similar post to remind people to not skimp on the bug spray, however I did not want to create any unnecessary panic since she is the only case that I know of.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much Farmer. It was nice to meet you and your wife! As noted above, BELLY issues can be very deceiving. Bowel? Appy? Stone? You can do a manual test on the abdomen but isn't fool proof. My son also faced the same situation and they just couldn't be sure, but when they went in his appy was almost ruptured. My advice to go to the hospital would have saved some time getting you home but I know that didn't sound good to you, I understand. Your appy ruptured FAST....so what people know is you must take our advise, please. I am proud to say when I am called, I am cautious and try to keep your expenses down for everyone but we have to do what we have to do!! I am so glad you made it in time and are recovering!!! Keep my number folks! Nurse Beth

User Info Menu

what is it>>> JustinCase

User Info Menu

got it876-464-2894
    t
    h
    a
    n
    k
    y