Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Be prepared for illness

User Info Menu

Re: Be prepared for illness

Quote Originally Posted by ohliz View Post
    I always buy Travelex insurance because it offers medical evacuation as well as care while there and it is primary.

They also sell a $49 "Transportation Pak" add-on that covers rental car collision insurance (CDW) IN JAMAICA which most credit cards do not cover.
    Oh, that's good to know!!

My company provides a Life Insurance policy through Sun Life, and Sun Life provides a TRAVEL INSURANCE benefit through a company called Assist America that includes medically necessary evacuation, anytime I am more than 150 miles from home. Its good for a trip up to 3 MONTHS. Assist America also offers an add-on for EXPATRIATE coverage for $80 year/$120 family, it has to be renewed every year. I was able to add my daughter who is in Asia. The Expatriate add-on has to be purchased before the trip starts.

User Info Menu

Oh my word, scariest thing ever, to have something like this happen on vacation, 2 years ago I fell, and cracked a rib, while it slowed me down some, probably a good thing..lol...
    I was able to stay and finish out my vacation, it taught me one big lesson, to always purchase health insurance... I wish you a speedy recovery, and a trip back, asap !!! I'm going back in Feb, that's a pre-warning for you guys, Rob and Lisa...lol...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    Oh my word, scariest thing ever, to have something like this happen on vacation, 2 years ago I fell, and cracked a rib, while it slowed me down some, probably a good thing..lol...
    I was able to stay and finish out my vacation, it taught me one big lesson, to always purchase health insurance... I wish you a speedy recovery, and a trip back, asap !!! I'm going back in Feb, that's a pre-warning for you guys, Rob and Lisa...lol...
    Haha Jojo...no problem...we have the doctors on speed dial...lol !

User Info Menu

Just a note....the physicians do not live in Negril. On occasion you may have one around but don't count on this during the night!
    This is why we collaborate via phone after I assess ....I assist to cover because they have full clinic days and I sometimes call them to the hotels ON TOP of their own calls! I have multiple physicians on my roster as well as ambulance services because we don't want an issue getting the you the service you need. There are more than one of everything, but we make a plan based on availability and what you need! Good things agwaan.....more to come Nurse Beth

User Info Menu

Beth can you arrange flight evacuation also?

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It's a great reminder of why travel insurance can be so important.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babalew View Post
    Beth can you arrange flight evacuation also?
    Just what I was going to ask!

And would these services be paid directly (without paying then being reimbursed) as was the case for us in Alaska? (I might need to ask the travel ins co that question but if you have experience with that I'd love to hear it also).

User Info Menu

PS: farmer I hope you are recovering well. I had a ruptured appendix in the middle of NYC long ago and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. So I know, not a fun recovery!

User Info Menu

Re: medical evacuation; Read your travel insurance Benefits/policy. They are usually involved as soon as you realize your need is significant enough to contact them, and they make the arrangements. One thing to know, your condition has to be stable enough to make the trip.

User Info Menu

So I am just wondering. Why not go to Mobay to a hospital to deal with a situation like this? Other than cost and insurance not covering a procedure, is there another reason?