Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Be prepared for illness

User Info Menu

Be prepared for illness

As I lay in Miami in intensive care I thought this is a good time to write my story. My wife and I love negril so much so we have been spending winters there the last 10 years. We went down for a quick 2 weeks after a crazy farm season. 10 days into it I had a pain I thought was constipation I waited till the next day to call nurse Beth ( yes keep her number available ) . She arranged an appointment with Dr Grant for me who wanted to do an ultrasound but only do at 4 pm. I was in so much pain they couldn't determine what was wrong with me and said to get back to Dr in the US. The next day we were on a flight to the nearest hospital ( Miami ) I live in New Hampshire. I was wheelchair edge in to the emergency room and immediately was on the surgeons table at Jackson memorial with a burst appendix. It had burst two days before ! I am on day 9 and will be in recovery room for another week. Had I had travel insurance I could have been flown by private medical jet and saved a lot of time. I would like to give kudos to Dr Grant and nurse Beth as well as my buddy tallman for their assistance but they could only do so much . I will be okay but it has been a tough 9 days here so far but am thankful to be alive . Of course we will be back down for the winter but much more ready for something like this .
    Still loving Jamaica and happy to be alive
    Farmer

User Info Menu

Re: Be prepared for illness

My prayers are with you , farmer.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Ohhh Farmer...we are truly glad to hear that you are recovering well...how crazy scary for you & Likkle Farmer.
    L&R

User Info Menu

Best wishes for a full recovery!! We wouldn't travel anywhere out of the US without travel insurance for medical evacuation. Insuremytrip.com is a great site to compare policies and prices!

User Info Menu

Get well soon farmer!

-Seamuis

User Info Menu

Farmer,sending prayers for your quick and complete recovery!

Thinking of both you and Likkle Farmer....

Sincerely,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing … all the best for healing and further enjoyment of life.

User Info Menu

A burst appendix nearly killed my former boss on the day of his greatest triumph and he was here in the states when it happened. He was ~70 and obese so the combo made for a very long recovery. The issue of emergency medical care has been a topic on the board of late. Seems there's quite a few seniors in Negril these days. At our age we get to stay for extended periods, but we're all nervous about our health. Thanks for sharing your situation with us farmer. Best wishes for a quick recovery and return to Negril! --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Wow, Farmer. I'm so glad you are recovering! You will need the recuperative power of Negril just as soon as the Doctors say you are ready. I hope to see you soon!

I agree with the real-experience advice to purchase evacuation/medical emergency insurance!!

User Info Menu

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through this while on vacation. So what travel insurance would you and anyone else on this board recommend to buy before travels?
    Rosalie
    Once u go u know