Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airline prices

User Info Menu

Re: Airline prices

We have made a few connections through CLT (not to MBJ) and never had a problem. It's actually a nice airport and a manageable size if you have to run from one terminal to another.

Like Philly, CLT is a former US Airways hub so you are now stuck with AA for most of the flights. I have been watching the airfares as well, and have noticed they seem to be increasing. What's interesting, however, is direct flights from PHL to Cancun are now very cheap (in the low $300's, which is competitive with the low-cost airlines). Wonder why these flights are roughly half the price of MBJ flights for a trip that is a similar travel distance. Is the demand that low?

User Info Menu

I think it's because the demand for flights to MBJ are SO high
    ...no need to run any kind of sales ...
    those planes will fill up no matter what kind of crazy prices they are asking

User Info Menu

As to Charlotte airport, it's fine as long as you don't have delays. If by some chance you get stuck there overnight, it is the worst. The entire food court shuts down at (I think) 10pm, and remains closed until 6am. Once you go through security, you are stuck. I happened to us last year coming back from the USVI's, and was the single worst airport experience we have ever had. There is no comfortable place to relax, I ended up sleeping on the tile/concrete floor for six hours of the 12 hours that we were stuck there. It was not an enjoyable experience, to say the least. Otherwise, yeah it's okay as far as being manageable size.

User Info Menu

Wow...that's crazy. Just booked a few weeks ago out on JFK< non-stop $335 RT. Think the prices were similar out of Newark. If I remember Philly was always a bad airport. Haven't been stuck there for awhile - maybe thinks have improved

User Info Menu

Amerikanskis,
    We're flying round trip from Ithaca, NY for free! Get a Capital 1 Venture card and charge everything you pay for every month and accumulate 2 miles for every $1 US spent. Doesn't matter where you spend your $'s, 2 miles for each and every one. You'll be amazed how fast you rack 'em up. Also, Sign up for an American Airlines credit card on your flight home and they will deposit 50,000 miles in your miles account if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. Then go back to your Cap1 card. After a year w/o fee on the AA card, cancel it when the renewal fee comes due. We must fight back comrades! --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    Amerikanskis,
    We're flying round trip from Ithaca, NY for free! Get a Capital 1 Venture card and charge everything you pay for every month and accumulate 2 miles for every $1 US spent. Doesn't matter where you spend your $'s, 2 miles for each and every one. You'll be amazed how fast you rack 'em up. Also, Sign up for an American Airlines credit card on your flight home and they will deposit 50,000 miles in your miles account if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. Then go back to your Cap1 card. After a year w/o fee on the AA card, cancel it when the renewal fee comes due. We must fight back comrades! --Marblehead

Sounds like I may need to check into this. Thanks for the info!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    Our group of is flying Southwest from Chicago Midway, Milwaukee and Orlando ............ all of these flights have had the prices go down on various sales .......... SW has no extra charges to change fares ............... we watch prices almost everyday and when it drops we call them for an adjustment.
    You can make the adjustment yourself online, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    Amerikanskis,
    The only way to do it.... It is amazing how fast you can rack up miles/points if you have a little knowledge. You can also purchase points at times that cut your cost way down. Some folks see that minimum spend requirements as unattainable, however services exist that you can pay a small fee to use where you can pay your rent/mortgage, etc. Fly first class for sub coach prices......

User Info Menu

Yup, I've been using the AA Mastercard for quite some time and the US Airways card before that (when they switched from USAir to AA, the benefits got crappier and the fees higher, but that's another discussion). Problem is, with higher airfares you need more miles to purchase those same flights. From my home airport, flights to MBJ are now at least 40,000 miles. It can take me quite a bit of time to rack-up that kind of mileage in credit card purchases. I have been meaning to check out the Capital 1 Venture card, but I was skeptical about how well their miles/points would work on AA flights. Thanks Marblehead & Booger for confirming that it works as advertised.

The AA card I have is the Aviator Red (Barclay Bank). I will likely cancel that card before they hit me with another annual fee and sign up for their Citi/AAdvantage card. That way, I can snag the 50,000 miles as Marblehead said. It seems AA is pushing their customers to that card, anyway.

User Info Menu

This year we signed up for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card which came with 100,000 points after $4000 purchase in the first 4 months. Plus it came with lots of other travel benefits - airport lounge access (incl Club Mobay), travel insurance (incl med evac), lost/delayed baggage reimbursement, and more... It has a $450 annual fee, but you get $300 back for any travel expenses you charge to it. I booked the lodging for our upcoming Ja trip with it and the $300 was refunded automatically We always fly with miles/points and rarely ever pay for flights - other than the taxes and fees - it's the best! And cheers to Southwest Airlines!