Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airline prices

User Info Menu

Airline prices

Is anyone experiencing how crazy insane they are? For us it went up $200/person! That's a chunk of change.
    Flying out of Philadelphia, Newark went up $600/person!!!!

User Info Menu

Re: Airline prices

Quote Originally Posted by jan24 View Post
    Is anyone experiencing how crazy insane they are? For us it went up $200/person! That's a chunk of change.
    Yup. The ridiculous fares for PHL to MBJ have caused us to plan our winter vacation elsewhere. Last winter, American Airlines had some competition from Frontier, who had great fares. This year, Frontier cancelled the PHL-MBJ route, to my disappointment. With a monopoly on direct flights, AA can charge whatever they want. We're hoping to return to Negril during the slow season when the lower hotel rates will offset the high airfare.

I wish Southwest would step-up and offer direct flights from Philly to MBJ. I know they have direct flights from BWI, but the 2 hour drive is not worth the savings to me as we live only 20 minutes from Philly airport.

User Info Menu

Yikes, I just took a look at AA prices from Philly and they have skyrocketed. It was $440 for our November trip and now is about $615. Southwest has been running some ads on Philly TV, but they don't state what airport they fly from.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

In theory, you can fly Southwest from Philly to MBJ but you have to change planes in Chicago Midway or Orlando. What should be a 3 1/2 hour direct flight becomes 6+ hours. I realize a lot of travelers from the west coast and Canada have to change planes as a matter of course, but I guess I have been spoiled by the direct flights from the east coast. Plus, we have had some bad experiences with planes missing connections and getting stuck overnight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jan24 View Post
    I know it's a bit of a drive, but have you considered flying out of Baltimore. SW flies direct to Mobay from there.

User Info Menu

Non stop out of Charlotte was $705.00 in Feb. 2017, Ouch!! The only way to compensate for the pain was that we had enough air miles to pay for one ticket!

User Info Menu

i was just looking ....i can fly.>> from up here for around 600.00...hmmm one stop in TO

User Info Menu

That's crazy, I just checked and I can find fares from Detroit in Feb for under $400rt, closer to $500 in March. A lot of those connect in Charlotte (the worst airport in eastern US).

User Info Menu

doesn't make sense , but I am sure glad , we can fly from Boondock , Maine , round trip , as cheap as anywhere north of Atlanta . around 400. again this Feb.

User Info Menu

Great news pine tree john.....enjoy it while it lasts. Mike_D and never2many, thanks for the advice. We can save $400 total by flying out of Baltimore + 100 in luggage fees that we will not have to pay(southwest allows 2 free) + we will save about 100 in a parking if we INSTEAD just rent a room for about 120 at a park and fly hotel in Baltimore. We are considering it, the only bad part will be the weather???!!! It will be 3 hrs instead of 1 1/2, but worth it. We also are spoiled with the nonstop flight.

Thanks everyone for your input