Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sampling the Varied Worlds of Jamaica

User Info Menu

Sampling the Varied Worlds of Jamaica

My first wife’s mother gave her married children a second honeymoon on their 10th wedding anniversary. We were married in 1974. I’ve been a New York Times junkie since the JFK assassination. One of my most cherished rituals was going to the local news stand and picking up a copy of the Sunday NYTimes, a gigantic compilation of news, reviews and lengthy features.

January 1st, 1984 also landed on a Sunday and the cover story of the travel section was “Sampling the Varied Worlds of Jamaica.” My wife and I eagerly read the Jamaican travel feature and quickly agreed to make Negril our 2nd honeymoon destination.

We booked a week at Twater for March, ignoring the soothsayer’s warning, “Beware the Ides of March!” On the flight from JFK, I started sneezing and my nose started to gush. I was coming down with a cold and descending into MBJ was an intensely painful sinus experience. My wife followed suit a day or two later with her own cold.

Needless to say, we had a grand time in spite of being sick. Much has changed over the years, but Negril has always remained a nearly yearly destination. Thirty-three years later, that article is still an inspiration.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/01/tr...f-jamaica.html
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Re: Sampling the Varied Worlds of Jamaica

Interesting!!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for this, Marblehead!
    It's always amazing how much can change in a short period of time...but...it's even more amazing how much has not changed here in 33 years.

User Info Menu

One thing we have realized from traveling to various parts of Jamaica is...different regions cook up their rice and peas differently. I very much enjoyed the dish in Portland parish...not so much elsewhere. I guess it could be the individual cook...though maybe not.

User Info Menu

Marblehead we had a similar experience , read a Boston Globe article in 1981 about Negril and how secluded it was and where the hippies went in the 60's and 70's
    so I convinced my soon to be bride that is where we should go 1983 for our honeymoon . We rented a car arrived to Negril in the dark after a 3 hour ride , we weren't sure we did the right thing but when we woke in the morning it was so magical and have been going back almost every year since then. Same owner of the villa's we stay in now . Interesting note the owner told us a couple years ago our villa is where Bob Dylan stayed for two years in the 60's ! Still magical to the wife and I 33 years later but now we stay for the winter . Got to love Negril even with it's growng pains .
    Farmer

User Info Menu

Lol!
    the Charela is a stylish 10-room inn.
    Times have changed, indeed.

User Info Menu

Welcome back, Farmer. I got my med evacuees insurance! Maximum respect --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

interesting article. 150 hotels in 1984 I wonder how many there is today?

User Info Menu

Thanks Marblehead, enjoyable reading!!!

User Info Menu

Great article - thanks for sharing... no wonder we all keep coming back!
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...