Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: You All Go. No One Ever Mentions.Help Me Out Here.

User Info Menu

Re: You All Go. No One Ever Mentions.Help Me Out Here.

A safe is a must for us too. However, the last two visits to Jamaica, one on the North Coast, one in Negril, the safe locking mechanism was old and didn't seem trustworthy. They locked up ok but I felt I couldn't trust getting my valuables out of there. Pac Safe is a great backup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    Well put ............... we have such a great place to hid things when we stay at a place with no safe that I can not mention it ............... can't give those bad guys any help.
    Yup agree!

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Yep, agreed. There are some things I just won't discuss online (or ever, really). People are way too open with their information these days.
    My thoughts as well!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!

User Info Menu

My working assumption: Locks keep honest people honest. The only things that I've lost in my life are civilian clothes in a locker off base and my first pair of prescription sunglasses in Negril. The locker was probably broken into by another sailor and I had too many rum punches when I set down my glasses.

The only attempted armed robbery was by a jeepney driver taking me and my shipmates for some Cinderella R&R outside of Subic Bay in the Philippines. He wanted the agreed fare from each of us. We got out of the jeepney and started arguing with him. He reached under his seat and pulled out a .45 cal semi-automatic pistol. You'd be amazed how fast 6 sailors can disappear into the bush. Fortunately, nobody stepped on a cobra. All in all, I guess I'm Lucky. There are plenty of smart recommendations here. --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

We have been coming to JA for almost 30 years, off and on - Yearly for the last 6-7 years. Every place we have stayed has provided us with a safe and secure place to store our valuables and we hold the key or it is done with an electronic code. There is MUCH variety in these security boxes - some only in the office with a lock and key, some a box bolted to a shelf in the room/closet with a lock and key, and some sophisticated electronic ones like you see in major hotels everywhere. Our things have always been safe and we have never lost anything to a theft.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I always wear a neck chain so I have a place on my person to put my rings if I need to take them off my fingers!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I tend to keep my stuff in in either a room safe or office safety deposit box (depending on the hotel/resort). I usually keep about a 1.5 days worth of cash and 1 credit card on me in a waterproof cell phone case that I keep in my my cargo pants pocket (in either my swim trunks or shorts) so that I can do anything at anytime, yet, if I lose the case or it gets get stolen, not a big hit on my cash for the trip.

User Info Menu

Just to offer a different perspective, I have almost never used a safe.

I do only carry what I need for that particular outing, and also keep smaller amounts handy and larger ones separate if I must carry more than a couple thousand J. I bring more than one credit and debit card so there's backup of both should one be lost/stolen/compromised. Also handy to have more than one bank account when ATMs limit daily withdrawals.

Has worked for me for many years.