Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Rum Cream basck to US

User Info Menu

Bringing Rum Cream basck to US

I'd like to bring home some rum and rum cream when we visit in March. I was reading the "new" TSA rules that allow booze bought at a duty-free shop in the airport to be carried on, but, of course, the rules are confusing.

First, it says the bottles must be stored in a secure, tamper-evident, bag (aka a "STEB"). Do the duty-free liquor shops in MoBay airport have those?

Secondly, it says the containers must be clear. Does this mean you can't bring back rum cream (Sangster's rum cream looks to be bottled in dark brown bottles)?

If they won't allow rum cream in brown bottles, then I may have to forgo bringing some back, unless I can find some time to swing by HiLo and pack it in our checked bags............

Thanks in advance for your input.

User Info Menu

Re: Bringing Rum Cream basck to US

Caution! On my last departure in December the duty free clerk asked if I had a connecting flight. Like a dummy I said yea from here to Charlotte to Wilmington. She then proceeded to put my six big bottles of Rum Crème in plastic bags! She put some bubble wrap stuff around them but...very awkward. She said she wouldn't box them for connecting flights and said they were in tamper evident bag. So I get to Charlotte and the AA clerk say no no...got to transfer them to your checked luggage. So I have to put my rum crème in my luggage without the cardboard box...which is really secure. Good news is my precious rum crème made it home safe.

My plan for next visit is to bring bubble wrap down with me and buy the rum crème at the HiLo and pack it myself. A roll of bubble wrap is very light an will not take up a lot of space in the checked bags.

User Info Menu

Ok Papa, You just invented "inflatable" bubble wrap for travellers. Maybe luggage manufacturers could line their luggage with inflatable material with a small valve on the outside to blow the pockets up when bag is closed. Flat and takes up no space until needed! Make sure you get your percentage Papa!! Only downside is to compensate for Aircraft pressure at altitude.

User Info Menu

You mean...I'm gonna be rich!!!

User Info Menu

We always bring back a ton of rum cream....all flavors....we carry on from MBJ and then have to put them in our checked bag between custom/immigration and going back through TSA to get our connecting flight. We always make sure to leave room in our suitcases when leaving Ja so we don't have to take the time to rearrange our clothes.

User Info Menu

Yes, the duty free in MBJ has the sealed bags and you can request your item(s) to be sealed. I don't understand why they would not be permitted to be carried on through. That's the whole idea. Why would you request these bags if at your next stop they have to go into your checked bags. Hmm. Brown bottles not acceptable. That's a new one I've never heard of before. New rule, I guess. The Chinaman in Times Square has the next best price to Airport Duty Free.

User Info Menu

Well, according to the AA clerks in Charlotte the sealed bags could not be brought on the plane as "carry-ons". I'm going with the bubble wrap solution.

User Info Menu

If you don't have connecting flights, are they still available in the boxes to travel home with as a carry on.

User Info Menu

Yes, but this makes no sense. If you have to put the "sealed" bags into your connecting flight luggage...why not be able to put boxes into your connecting flight luggage.

User Info Menu

bring as much as you want out of Jamaica......easiest way is to fill your checked luggage in Negril with the Rum Cream....
    sure it might cost a few bucks more buying it in Negril versus the airport.....but the convenience is well worth it......
    you are on vacation after all......yah mon

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20