Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving to Port Antonio: Kingston or Montego Bay

User Info Menu

Re: Driving to Port Antonio: Kingston or Montego Bay

I do promise to do a trip report. I'm won't be as prolific with the pictures though as I'm the driver, not the official photographer

Looking forward to the PL pictures.

BS

User Info Menu

Got the thumbs up from Mrs Buffalo for Pimento Lodge but appears it may be booked for our dates (at least on hotels.com which had availablity on other dates) - have an email out to them.

Can anyone stayed at or seen this property? https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/698810. We can get the 3br cottage at a very attractive rate. Location looks good. Has AC and nice views of Turtle Harbour.

The value of the canadian dollar vs US is killing us... I'd like to keep under $200US/night w/AC if possible to save a few bucks for stripes.

Thanks all.
    BS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *vi* View Post
    That’s a splendid looking set up, Vince. LOVE the patio and yard. It is right before you reach Manchoneal. Yeah, it’s a bit outside of town, but there are cookshops and stores in Long Bay along the beach. Just don’t try swimming in the Long Bay waters…dem ruff for true!!! But I have one question for you my friend…

Are you really going to Portland?????????????????
    We are, my wife was looking at on Homeaway.com at houses in PA last night. I'm just letting her pick. Like I told her, just get me there, I just need a towel on da beach!!! Whatever they want I'm down with! Negril, hasn't even been brought up, since we saw your pictures and stories. LOL. She is looking for something priced fair and walking distance to good cook shops. I just need a towel and Red Stripes!! But I'm not really a lounger, I got to be MOVING!!! I just want to see that side of the island, talk to locals, play in the watta with mi new frens, ride bikes, hike around, swim in da river, wash mi clothes in da river. Whatever I can do!! Got any places I can share for her to look at. *vi* for PA expert on Negril.com!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Hi Ohliz

Thanks for the tip about downloading the maps in Google. I had not done before. Just figured out how to do it. Looks like I'll need to download jamaica map in 2 areas and will redo just before we go since they expire in a month.

With the google map/gps available to navigate through Kingston an option would you recommend we took the Junction Road instead? Is the South Coast road in really bad shape?

Thanks again,
    BS

User Info Menu

Do you mean is the Junction Rd better than the eastern coastal road? I guess that is the south coast road for the first bit.

I think the coast road is in worse shape but also perhaps easier, if you aren't in a big rush. If you wind up in Long Bay, that's east of Porty enough to perhaps even things out for the coastal route.

I wish I could give you better advice on this but I haven't taken that road for about 8 years. Potholes have probably been filled and reformed several times since then!

User Info Menu

Google agrees that if headed to Long Bay the coast road may be equivalent: https://goo.gl/maps/LBYEhCF9uWU2

User Info Menu

I last drove the A4 in March of last year and yes it is filled with pot holes....have to really take your time but is doable.

User Info Menu

Sammyb, Ohliz - Thank you both.

Our accommodations are now in place at Pimento Lodge in Long Bay.

It occurred to me that I'll need to stop at a Scotiabank ATM and load up on JA$ and supplies for the room. Perhaps that influences the route I should take?

With flights and accommodation now figured out we can chill and begin the countdown. I have updated my signature accordingly.

Thanks again everyone.
    BS
    https://www.TickerFactory.com/

https://www.TickerFactory.com/

User Info Menu

Great!! Have been curious about Pimento Lodge looking forward to your opinion. There is a Scotiabank in Morant Bay - St Thomas so you will be fine taking the A4 if that is the route you prefer.