Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving to Port Antonio: Kingston or Montego Bay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Driving to Port Antonio: Kingston or Montego Bay

Greetings All

From the minute we left Jamaica after our 2nd visit in 2014 we’ve yearned to go back. On that trip we did 4 nights at White Sands Negril, 3 nights at a villa in Duncans Bay and ended with 2 nights at the Holiday Inn in Rose Hall. We absolutely loved Negril, higglers and all. Duncans was serene and beautiful as well. The Holiday Inn was OK, kids liked pool, but confirmed to us that AI resort vacations aren’t for us. We used drivers/Knutsford Express/taxis’ to get around. I spent considerable time on negril.com preparing for that trip and much time since living vicariously though others reports/pictures jealous and dreaming of returning. I owe negril.com boardies a great debt and I promise a trip report of my own knowing how much I love to read others. Thank you all for your love of Jamaica. Once you go you do know…

Anxious to do more than just party on the beach, after reading *Vi*’s incredible trip reports and seeing her pictures, we decided that we must include Port Antonio in the next trip. That's finally happening and we are returning in late March for 10 days/9 glorious nights – just my wife and I this time. We plan to start with 3 nights Port Antonio then make our way over to Negril for a 4/2 beach and cliff split.

This trip we are renting a car (not for debate) for flexibility and keep logistics costs in check. I have driven on the wrong side all over Barbados including a few roads better described as goat paths. I will only drive during daylight hours and have no plans to go off the beaten path (on purpose anyway LOL). I confirmed my credit card includes CDW insurance in Jamaica (underwritten by Chartis Jamaica Insurance Company Limited). Nuff said...

We are flying out of Toronto and can fly for same price into Kingston or Montego Bay landing at ~noon either way. We will leave Negril and fly out of MoBay early afternoon. Having travelled between MoBay and Ochi and going back that way, I’m leaning toward flying into Kingston to see a part of the island we have not seen before. We would depart Norman Manley for Port Antonio. Google Maps suggests the A3 via Annotto Bay or the A4 along the South Coast are comparable in terms of distance and time ~2hr 45min. I’m not betting on the times being accurate but believe either option would reasonably get us to PA before dark.

I read a 3 year old post somewhere that the A3 is a better road/route than the A4? Does this still hold true? Can anyone provide firsthand driving experience? Would you recommend flying into Montego Bay and driving from there instead to get my Jamaican bearings on a well developed stretch of road to Ochi? I read Flipadelphia26's 1st time experience renting a car in JA doing the North Coast route on his honeymoon was a very positive experience. Thanks for that Flip. I'm very confident I can manage that.

I have a Garmin GPS. There is a Jamaica map download available for purchase on internet. There are also options available in the app store for iPhone. Does anyone have experience using a GPS or GPS app successfully in JA?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Buffalo.

User Info Menu

Re: Driving to Port Antonio: Kingston or Montego Bay

I'm curios on this to. I'm kinda wanting to fly into Kingston as well and see that side of the island. We have never been past Ocho Rios. I'm wanting to rent a 4wd vehicle. But, we plan on just staying in and around the PA area. So, rent a car or hire a driver would be cheaper. When we go it will be a summer time break. When our kids get out of school. Our kids are 13-15 girl and a boy. We need *vi* to guide us. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

The A3 is far better than the A4. But that junction road (A3) scares me and I don't know my way around Kingston very well. If I had to fly into Kingston I would take the A4 as that is right outside of the airport and I wouldn't have to go through Kingston plus it's a road with no cliffs on the every edge like the A3. I fly in Mobay stay the night somewhere then wake early and start my journey to PA. Road is great and I feel more comfortable with this. But it is a long drive as compared to going the Kingston route. Rent through Island, they are great!
    Last edited by sammyb; 01-30-2017 at 12:33 PM.

User Info Menu

We are looking into this place VRBO Listing #698044. We are sold on this place. It does look like it is not to far from PA though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Vince, WOW that place looks stunning!! Seems it's close to Manchioneal so no not too far from the sites in PA but you would need a vehicle or a driver for sure.

If you need driver contact let me know. I've posted their info previously. Warren & Kemar McKenzie.

User Info Menu

umm, Maybe just fly in to KNG and grab a driver. Then I can drink my Red Stripes on the way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Yea, I was SHOOKED over the price and the views ect.... I read all the reviews and they was all 5 star for that price. I swear it comes with a cook too!! I emailed the owner to the info is correct. Yea, I saw your post about those drivers. Just got to get all our ducks in a roll, so we can PUSH that button for a count down!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

I'm ready for you to go so you can report back.

User Info Menu

Ya mon! It will be a summer trip. You going soon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

was just in Negril for New Years. I was hoping March or April for Portland but not sure at the moment. Enjoy your summer reach!!!!