Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Newbie - 6 more sleeps

User Info Menu

Newbie - 6 more sleeps

My second trip to Negril (1st time over 18 years ago, so...), 1st time for my husband. We are staying the first 4 nights at Catcha, last 3 nights at the Point Village. We planned to go to Sea Star - from Catcha, what would be an appropriate tip to driver? Do we tip upon return or each way?

For route taxi's on the cliffs - when we are just exploring the cliffs (say going to Just Natural for breakfast), do we go out to the road and begin our walk, and wait for someone to stop, or put out a finger when we see a red plate? Do we ask price, or once we see route on side of taxi, we know it is route taxi and the driver will just tell us the price, or do we hand over 3000 JA upon arrival and expect change? What is etiquette? Also, when taking a route taxi, do we tell them the location we are headed to, and get dropped off at the location?

When we are staying at the Point Village, I am guessing we are going to want to head to Long Beach for dinner each night. Is it easy to take a route taxi from here? Is it one route taxi from Bloody Bay to Long Bay area?

Any thoughts/suggestions are most appreciated!

User Info Menu

Re: Newbie - 6 more sleeps

Welcome to the board, Kajabo!!

If you are staying at Catcha Falling Star...it's an approx. five minute walk up Seastar Lane to Seastar Inn...the Seastar shuttle will be happy to come get you if you don't feel comfortable walking. If you're staying at Catcha Gardens...it's an approx. 10+ min. walk to Seastar...but the same thing...call for the free Seastar Inn shuttle.

Below is a link to the new route taxi look...they are definitely easier to spot.
    http://negril.com/nt/nt100616.htm

It's also easy to ask the security or shop owner/worker to grab you a charter taxi (private) and negotiate a ride.

User Info Menu

Thank you! My husband has MS, so the less that we walk, the more coordinated he remains! In an attempt to budget, what is our best bet?

User Info Menu

I use this for reference: http://www.ta.org.jm/documents/Fares...stmoreland.pdf

Along the west end to the bus park is $130. From the beach road to bus park is $130. NMB to bus park, $120. So you would pay less than $2 usd per route.

From my point of view, the best etiquette is to: have exact change whenever possible. Use JAD. be respectful of the other riders' time as they may be going to work or trying to get home or to an appointment.

Enjoy the adventure! I took a route taxi to Sav in June and it was a real treat!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KaJabo View Post
    For route taxi's on the cliffs - when we are just exploring the cliffs (say going to Just Natural for breakfast), do we go out to the road and begin our walk, and wait for someone to stop, or put out a finger when we see a red plate? Do we ask price, or once we see route on side of taxi, we know it is route taxi and the driver will just tell us the price, or do we hand over 3000 JA upon arrival and expect change? What is etiquette? Also, when taking a route taxi, do we tell them the location we are headed to, and get dropped off at the location?
    KaJabo...I reread your question and am wondering why you would give the driver 3000j? That is approx. $24us at the moment.
    A chartered (private) driver will not pick up anyone else and would charge approx. 500j ($4us) for the two of you to go anywhere along the cliffs. You always negotiate a private/chartered driver before you get in the vehicle.

You do not negotiate a route taxi...you get in and pay the 130j per person on the cliffs road and either tell them where you're going after you get in or tell them to stop when you're getting close to your destination. They will pick up other people along the way.

User Info Menu

Welcome back! The post above are right on... pretty easy to distinguish route taxi noawadays... busy times will be when kids going to/from school and the main work times...to go back and forth from the beach, definitely take a route taxi... unless you live to walk, definitely need a taxi from catcha... and point village is, unfortunately , at the wrong end of the beach so prolly need a route taxi back to the 'more happening' part of the beach... if peace and quiet is what you seek, there's plenty of that at point village. Have a blast!!!! I gotta wait til April

User Info Menu

how are you getting to catcha?...
    ....ask your driver he wont mess up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    KaJabo...I reread your question and am wondering why you would give the driver 3000j? That is approx. $24us at the moment.
    A chartered (private) driver will not pick up anyone else and would charge approx. 500j ($4us) for the two of you to go anywhere along the cliffs. You always negotiate a private/chartered driver before you get in the vehicle.

You do not negotiate a route taxi...you get in and pay the 130j per person on the cliffs road and either tell them where you're going after you get in or tell them to stop when you're getting close to your destination. They will pick up other people along the way.
    Was also curious about the $3000 j ...

also, I wouldn't hand over cash expecting change in any situation. I try to have exact change whenever possible.

For route taxi, it's one price- like a bus or the t. For a charter, determine the cost before you get in. Also, determine if the ride is one way or round trip. Set a pick up time and get a phone number in case you need to reach the driver. Pay At drop-off whenever possible. I'm not big on negotiations... I've asked how much for private driver before and didn't like the price so I turned it down.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Thank you for the info, very helpful. So to catch a route taxi, you just go to the road, and flag it down once you spot one going in your direction, right? Have exact change, hop in, tell driver where headed, pay before jumping out?

Same goes for route taxi from point village, right? Go to main road and wait, then flag down route taxi that comes along. What is the route name of a route taxi between bloody bay and long bay?

Also, for a free shuttle (b/t sea star & Catcha), what is an appropriate tip for two people?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KaJabo View Post
    What is the route name of a route taxi between bloody bay and long bay?
    Either Lucea to Negril or Green Island to Negril

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave