Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: J Wray Rum?

User Info Menu

J Wray Rum?

I was recently in Milwaukee and came across J Wray rum, apparently this is the new replacement for Appleton Special? I read about it online but some of the articles are more than a year old. Where I live we still have Appleton Special. Curious what others are seeing on shelves in their neck of the woods.

Name:  J_Wray_Rums_SilverAndGold-300x300.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  7.3 KB

User Info Menu

Re: J Wray Rum?

I was at my preferred purveyor of fine adult beverages north of you yesterday (Appleton, WI... yep, Appleton), and the J Wray label caught my eye. It includes a neck tag explaining that this is new branding for Special. I did not notice if there was a corresponding change in Appleton's White label on their shelf yet.

User Info Menu

TuffGong,

J Wray (the company) has tried several times to re-brand itself in the US market especially it's higher end aged stuff. Not sure I agree with the change as I have loved the Special labels for years.

Name:  Appleton.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  91.8 KBName:  Old Special Label.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  91.2 KB

User Info Menu

On the rocks,the appleton 12 year old is hard to beat and the price is reasonable at around 35 bucks.js,,

User Info Menu

It's also good enjoyed on THE rock as well.

User Info Menu

Yes the aged Wray & Nephew rums are very good. They have several offerings at the Gift Shop at the Estate that I don't see in stores, and prices on all their products seem lower even than the Duty Free at the airports.

I like the Special neat, gives a good twang or mixed with tonic water and a slice of lime on ice, best of all with Pineapple, Grapefruit and Orange juice (fresh squeezed if possible) with 3 or 4 fingers of Appleton layered on ice. Call it the "Irie Dread" in a blender it's an "Icy Dread". They also make the World Famous Overproof, the most consumed Rum in Jamaica!!

Name:  Appleton Estate.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by johng; 04-18-2017 at 09:42 PM.