Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Graces

User Info Menu

Re: Social Graces

Polite, but firm.

We brought all our adult children to Negril a few years ago. I made one thing clear to all of them before we went. You can be polite but firm when dealing with the higglers, but don't ever let me see you disrespect anyone. They live here and are just trying make a living.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    Polite, but firm.

We brought all our adult children to Negril a few years ago. I made one thing clear to all of them before we went. You can be polite but firm when dealing with the higglers, but don't ever let me see you disrespect anyone. They live here and are just trying make a living.
    Great advice! I am bringing my two teens in a week and a half and basically told them the same thing.

User Info Menu

When I see a male start to move like he is going to touch me, I say "Don't touch me" in a low, firm voice directed his way. They always pull back, but if they kept coming or maybe didn't catch it I would say it again. We can talk, he can give me the information I need, but I am not for him to touch.

As far as the hand-shaking, 'Its winter, lots of people traveling from the North, I am afraid of germs so I don't shake hands on the street'. Jamaicans don't like germs, and will commiserate on wanting to avoid cold or flu.

User Info Menu

Fist bump. I try to never shake hands with anyone I don't know in Jamaica. Shaking hands is a good way for something you do not want to be placed into your hand, or for them to hold on for dear life while trying to sell you something.

Actually I try to never really touch anyone or have them touch me.

So far I have not run into any major issues with higglers, the ones I have dealt with have been friendly enough. I am polite, but firm. Most of them want to know if I am there alone since my husband needs to hide in the shade if we are on the beach and I am a sun-worshipper so we rarely are sitting together. I smile, say no, point to the husband, and tell them he looks like he is sleeping, but I promise you he is not, and right on queue my husband will wave, lol!
    [=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I always fist bump, no hand shaking unless it's someone that I know, then it's a handshake or "bro hug". The most important rule, IMO, is to always be respectful. That alone will avert a lot of hassle. Always acknowledge people, I never just ignore (it's just rude). Be decent, and you won't have many issues.

As to the locals crossing the line with your lady, it has never happened to us, as long as I'm present. The locals have always been respectful in that regard, at least in my experience. But I'm always with her, so that helps a lot.

User Info Menu

Put something on over your swimsute if you go to town. like a cover-up.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

real jamaicans..... imo... are very respectful people.... they would never..... ever.

beach hustlers will tell you what you want to hear

User Info Menu

The hand shake is the hook.. if you start with that you'll get the 'cool' handshake and likely more, a pitch, a 'gift.' Another greeting is for a higgler to offer your 'pretty lady' a gift where the solicitor ties a wrist band on her, don't let them! You may be on a walk and someone will join you and just start chatting it up where 20 mins later or so they may want a fee for the tour. The list goes on.. The regular greeting on Jamaica is "Wa gwan" akin to "what's going on".. this young lady is really cute and put a great piece together on greetings: https://youtu.be/ic5O-8GiOg8

A local man should have permission from you to speak with 'mi lady'.. well, it's really more lax than that, but you can call someone on this.. at least I have. I had a guy hassle us on the beach one night and I told him he was disrespecting me by speaking to 'mi lady' without my permission.. that was pretty much the end of discussion. I would say do not leave your lady alone at a local bar without a friend being with her.. as soon as you step out she will be approached and will hear some pretty crude and frankly down and dirty lines.. Please do not characterize all Jamaicans by my points, most Jamaicans are absolutely wonderful, friendly and warm people especially given the economic and political oppression they deal with.

If someone asks you for a drink I would suggest you tell them that if they buy the first round you will buy the next two rounds and see what happens. Here's hoping you have a great time.

-Seamuis
    Last edited by Seamuis; 02-28-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Wow. I didn't realize that interacting with Jamaicans required so much of an education. I just seem to treat everyone pretty much the same wherever I go in the world and don't really have many problems.

Just be yourself. Jamaicans will know if your "real" or a "fake".
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

My thoughts exactly Bill!