Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Social Graces

User Info Menu

Re: Social Graces

This is cracking me up......a few years back I was at Bar b Barn visiting a friend ( irie chic ) .......and the security guard came up to me and said ''good night''......I thought he was telling me to leave, lol !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madtowndan View Post
    Trip is getting close (10 sleeps). As this is our first visit to Jamaica, I have a question regarding local customs. What's appropriate, and what's not? When you meet/greet someone, or say goodbye, what's the customary method of doing so - hand shake?, fist bump?, bro hug? How do the locals shake hands - the classic palm-to-palm, or locked thumbs? Anything else I need to know to show respect? When has a local "crossed the line" when interacting with my girlfriend?

Teach me!
    have you ever heard of 1st nite syndrome?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

o ya......
    HAVE FUN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDd View Post
    have you ever heard of 1st nite syndrome?
    I'll bite - what's the 1st night syndrome?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Seamuis View Post
    Accompong, perhaps you missed this comment? "Please do not characterize all Jamaicans by my points, most Jamaicans are absolutely wonderful, friendly and warm people especially given the economic and political oppression they deal with."

I'm not sure what's fake about that, perhaps it's the smoke that has not cleared yet?
    Perhaps turning on a fan and clearing the air around you would help. I never implied that Jamaicans were "fake". I hearken back to the '60s in California when everyone wanted to look and act like a hippie (for the free love I think! ) A real "hippie" (just like a real Jamaican) can spot a poser from all the way down the street.

Knowing the latest thumb-rubbing handshake won't get a tourist mistaken for a Jamaican. Again, be yourself and the vibe you send out will dictate how you are treated. When you meet a Jamaican that you want to be good friends with, he or she will teach you what is the newest fad and not the other way around.

My point at the beginning is that being "real" and "genuine" in how you approach Jamaicans is more important than being a Phd in Jamaican Culture with a degree from the Internet majoring in DIY Travel Expert 101.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by madtowndan View Post
    I'll bite - what's the 1st night syndrome?
    it can be.... any number of combinations of sun sand subs ....the list goes on?
    oh ya have fun.... and watch out for your toes.JAMAICA can be hard on a first timers toes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDd View Post
    oh ya have fun.... and watch out for your toes.JAMAICA can be hard on a first timers toes
    Ummm ya...not just "first timers toes"... Rob's toes are always some sort of purple or blue...lol.
    The ground is rock and uneven...so are many of the man made steps...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Perhaps turning on a fan and clearing the air around you would help. I never implied that Jamaicans were "fake". I hearken back to the '60s in California when everyone wanted to look and act like a hippie (for the free love I think! ) A real "hippie" (just like a real Jamaican) can spot a poser from all the way down the street.

Knowing the latest thumb-rubbing handshake won't get a tourist mistaken for a Jamaican. Again, be yourself and the vibe you send out will dictate how you are treated. When you meet a Jamaican that you want to be good friends with, he or she will teach you what is the newest fad and not the other way around.

My point at the beginning is that being "real" and "genuine" in how you approach Jamaicans is more important than being a Phd in Jamaican Culture with a degree from the Internet majoring in DIY Travel Expert 101.
    First, I was not suggesting you be anyone other than yourself.
    Second, there is nothing wrong with saying "Wa Gwan" in Jamaica or "Buenos dias" in LatAm.
    Third, I was not insinuating those traveling to Jamaica are best served learning the secret handshake of the day, what I was saying is many higglers use handshake as a 'hook.' You try and walk past with a pleasant "No Thank You" and the higglers roll into a big handshake routine. It's a great rapport building technique employed by higglers, which really is no different than any handshake at a business meeting. For some the business is questionable and that is not just in Jamaica.

I agree you will meet cool friendly Jamaicans who will show you the latest newest fad.
    I also agree that trying to be anyone other than yourself is a losing proposition, but that is true anywhere.
    Apologies if I came across any differently that was not my intent.

-Seamuis