Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Social Graces

User Info Menu

Social Graces

Trip is getting close (10 sleeps). As this is our first visit to Jamaica, I have a question regarding local customs. What's appropriate, and what's not? When you meet/greet someone, or say goodbye, what's the customary method of doing so - hand shake?, fist bump?, bro hug? How do the locals shake hands - the classic palm-to-palm, or locked thumbs? Anything else I need to know to show respect? When has a local "crossed the line" when interacting with my girlfriend?

Teach me!

User Info Menu

Re: Social Graces

In Negril, most of the locals who will greet you are higglers who will try to sell you things (any and everything). Usually a fist bump will suffice. If you are not interested in buying anything from them don't stop to fist bump or chat, just keep walking and smile and say "not interested" in a firm but friendly way! Never say anything like "maybe later" or "not today". To them, that means you will buy next time they see you.

If they try to hand something to you to look at don't accept it. You hold onto it you buy it. Don't let them put a bracelet on your wrist without your permission, it is a scam.

As far as your girlfriend is concerned. Any unwanted physical contact or inappropriate sexually suggestive verbal dialogue would be crossing the line, just like home.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Unfortunately if you shake hands they will hold on for dear life while they try and sell you something (literally hold onto you kinda assault like).

The last few years it seems like the higglers start with "buy this? buy this? buy this?" and when you don't they ask for 'support', basically begging. I know countless couples who will never step foot in Jamaica again due to the non-stop high pressure hustlers.

Be polite but don't bother offering a hand, hug, or fistbump unless you want to hear their bull****. Or worse, have to pry yourself from their hold.

User Info Menu

JDd.......that is a excellent read... Negril 101......that should be a sticky right there, ''don't invite a Jamaican back to your place unless you want him to let you buy him a drink....LMAO !!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I would say the most appropriate way to act is to act how you want to be treated. I wouldn't worry about acting like a local, because you aren't a local. People will know you are a visitor from a mile away (and then approach you trying to sell you something). Respect generates respect, for the most part.

I would suggest that on an average interaction, a friendly greeting and departure are common. If someone is selling and you aren't buying, like halfwaytree said, a firm but respectful "not interested" is most appropriate because its the truth. Or say whatever the truth is in regards to your level of interest when someone has something to sell you.

A fist bump is a friendly greeting, but I only do that to people I see and talk with regularly. I hug friends I have gotten to know over the last few years.

If you happen to have a disagreement or conflict with someone, try to handle it with as much grace as you can muster. You are a visitor and guest in someone's hometown, neighborhood, restaurant, or hotel.

Be as genuine as you can. Do not be deceitful. If someone asks you a question that you don't want to answer, say "no thanks" rather than lie.

Men, and possibly women, may advance upon your girlfriend. Again, with as much grace as can be manage, a firm but respectful, "not interested" is important in this situation.

The only ones who can tell where that "line" is and when it is crossed are you and your girlfriend... an ANY situation. If you are uncomfortable, walk away. You may be insulted as you leave, but words are only words. For the most part, people on the beach are looking for one key outcome: that you buy something from them, and sometimes for them. Know your own limits and boundaries and stick to them.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDd View Post
    The first part of this list offers decent basic information (Negril 101: The Basics)...but the rest of the link/list is 10 years old and is quite outdated...just so someone doesn't go looking for some of the businesses listed in that link...'cause many are no longer there.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 02-27-2017 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDd View Post
    thi is awesome information.....thx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    The first part of this list offers decent basic information (Negril 101: The Basics)...but the rest of the link/list is 10 years old and is quite outdated...just so someone doesn't go looking for some of the businesses listed in that link...'cause many are no longer there.
    It was interesting seeing some of the old places and how things have changed, but agree... even some the "latest" maps aren't accurate! Things change so quickly!
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

common cents.........everytime