Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Another issue at sunnyside bar again

User Info Menu

Re: Another issue at sunnyside bar again

Disposable syringes are a real problem. In my past 35 years as an insulin dependent diabetic, I've personally used tens of thousands of disposable syringes. I'm pretty careful of how I dispose of them, and when I travel I bring the used ones home for disposal here, because I just don't know what happens to something you throw in the trash in Jamaica or any other country. I live half a block from an elementary school and walk by it on the way to work; a few weeks ago there were a couple of syringes - not mine! - lying in the street beside the school, one with the needle exposed, one with the cap on. Impossible to tell whether they'd been used or just dropped, as they'd been run over. I just brought them home and added them to my disposal container. My point here is that there are a LOT of these around and it's pretty much impossible to know where they come from.

Jamaicarob, you have my sympathy and I hope there no effects from this incident.

User Info Menu

The issue of being injured by the syringe is serious. You are understandably and justifiably upset.

It's hard not to blame someone or something for this happening to you, but I think it's unfair to blame Sunnyside.
    It could have fallen from a tourist's bag or pocket in addition to any other number of reasons it was there.

If you are not happy with the response you got from Robert, that is an issue between him and you. Not something to be hashed out on a public forum.

User Info Menu

Nurse Marcia, I somewhat agree with some of what you posted and respectfully disagree with part as well. What difference does it make who left the syringe there? It is the responsibility of the business owner to regularly inspect and clean up their establishment to insure the safety of their customers.

I'm glad this was posted. It serves as a warning to everyone, no matter where you are, to watch your step and to wear something to help protect your feet. To bar, restaurant and hotel owners it may serve as a notice to step up their game.

Did the name of the bar this happened at have to be mentioned? Not really, as it could happen anywhere. However, if it happened to me I would be upset too and it is understandable that the location was posted.
    Last edited by halfwaytree; 03-04-2017 at 01:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamaicarob View Post
    we just got back from another great trip to Negril, after having 2 incidents last year at Sunnyside bar with the crackheads next door, on our second day this year i had to pulled a syringe, needle out of my foot on our second day, i showed Rob the owner and gave it to him, to me he did not care, we will avoid Sunnyside from now on, by the way i went to the doctor today for blood tests, and have more tests again in 3 months
    Oh geeze! Sorry to hear Rob! Prayers everything turns out with the bloos tests!
    Deanna (aka DeeDee from NY)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    Nurse Marcia, I somewhat agree with some of what you posted and respectfully disagree with part as well. What difference does it make who left the syringe there? It is the responsibility of the business owner to regularly inspect and clean up their establishment to insure the safety of their customers.

I'm glad this was posted. It serves as a warning to everyone, no matter where you are, to watch your step and to wear something to help protect your feet. To bar, restaurant and hotel owners it may serve as a notice to step up their game.

Did the name of the bar this happened at have to be mentioned? Not really, as it could happen anywhere. However, if it happened to me I would be upset too and it is understandable that the location was posted.
    I should have been more clear. Some posters were inferring undesirable people hanging at the bar were the reason the syringe was there. That is the leap I won't make in holding Sunnyside responsible.

Of course they need to do what they can to prevent any serious incidents. I respectfully disagree that they are somehow responsible for a syringe that might have fallen in the sand moments before it punctured Jamaicarob's foot.

My response to Jamaicarob remains the same - this was very unfortunate and dangerous. I hope your health remains good.
    Last edited by Nurse Marcia; 03-05-2017 at 04:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Responsible or not finding a syringe two feet from the bar seems like a reasonable reason not to return to an establishment. Amazing how anyone can think otherwise.

Prayers for you, in all my years of traveling I have never heard of anything even remotely as scary as that.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear, J-Rob, and hope all will be well with the blood test. I'm sure it will. I usually keep my flip flops on if I am not on the wet sand (horse/cat/dog poop issues). Now there is another reason.

Just another tip on syringes - if the garbage can in the bathroom is overflowing, don't be a good citizen and push it in! Not your problem. Let it overflow! Very dangerous practice, although with good intentions. When I see people push down the paper towels, I ALWAYS speak up and say "Don't do that! You don't what is in there!". This isn't just a Negril/Jamaica thing .... I do it here at work. Any public washroom. Don't do it!

User Info Menu

thanks all for your care and sympathy, on a more positive note i will post a small trip report when i get some time, by the way we are already booked at Rooms for next February, soon come

User Info Menu

We stayed at Rooms last week. It was good. Great location. We had the 2nd floor room overlooking the beach road. Kinda noisy, but very cool to sit and watch all the action! Yamon' . Maybe get to meet you next reach Jamaica Rob. We know Momthor. Respect mon' Todd & Deb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    We stayed at Rooms last week. It was good. Great location. We had the 2nd floor room overlooking the beach road. Kinda noisy, but very cool to sit and watch all the action! Yamon' . Maybe get to meet you next reach Jamaica Rob. We know Momthor. Respect mon' Todd & Deb
    we always book a room above the office , overlooking the road, great for pick ups, and great eating on the balcony and watching the happenings on the road, hope to see you next February, soon come