Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mason the woodcarver

User Info Menu

Mason the woodcarver

Anyone have any insight on where I can find Mason when I come back into town? He was posted up at the entrance to Wavz Park prior to the clearing out of the vendors.

User Info Menu

Re: Mason the woodcarver

Hey Tim!

We asked around (a lot) right after he was "cleaned out". Some of the other vendors around that area told us that he had moved to Green Island and set up his shop there. I wasn't able to pinpoint an exact location however so we never found out if that was actually true or not. We have our taxi guy looking into it and we might make a stop there on the way in next trip. If he can track him down, I will let you know the details.

BS
    "Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."
    -- E. Gary Gygax

User Info Menu

Disappointed he's not on the beach anymore. I enjoyed stopping in and talking to him. I want something from him but none of the pieces ever spoke to me and I'm not too good at coming up with ideas of custom pieces.

User Info Menu

Mason's work is outstanding - I have a couple of his pieces..
    he has served as an inspiration to me ..to start carving ...
    I've got a long way to go
    & agree I too am disappointed that he's no longer on the beach
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Info Menu

sweet tiki bar!

User Info Menu

I like very much.

User Info Menu

For all the years Mason was at the same location, I find it surprising no one on this board knows of his where abouts. A very private man perhaps?

User Info Menu

I know EXACTLY where he is..I brought a handful of high end carving tools on my trip in January for him.
    Saddened to see his removal from the beach park.
    I tracked him to Green Island and found his house.Basically as you head to Mobay you come to the little part where the road on the right heads inland (Green island)and there is a few shops and market.Maybe a mile just over a small bridge on the left you will see chunks of wood just off the road.Ask anyone for "carver".
    Once we found the house they said he was at the Negril craft market selling.
    Once at Negril craft market we did not find Mason however there are several vendors selling his carvings.
    He is in the wholesale business now.Very sad.

User Info Menu

I too was sad to not see him in his usual spot on my last trip. Bought numerous pieces from him over the years and always enjoyed stopping in to see him work. Use to try to figure out a way to get one of the HUGE suns onto the plane. Had the perfect spot in my home for it but my husband didn't agree
    I've seen others selling what I was pretty sure was his work(even tho they claimed to be theirs). Maybe he will get his own stall at the craft market,or even better ,get a license to set back up on the beach?

User Info Menu

Name:  mason.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  12.7 KB