Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To carry on or not to carry on? That is the question .....

User Info Menu

lost luggage has only happened to me once, in Hawaii, and the bags were hand-delivered to my house the next day. funny enough, MoBay has always been one of the fastest airports for luggage arrivals IME, luggage has always been there waiting by the time i get through customs; never had any issues there. I've had longer waits with more confusion, wrong carousel listed, waiting over an hour for the bags to get brought in, etc etc around the USA than i've ever had there.

but even in general I don't mind waiting for luggage; for a longer trip it's more important to me to have my own skin/hair products and toiletries so i'm not dependent upon what i can find there (which i gotta say i've found to be not good quality). Although, when traveling domestically, i'll do carryon 'only' - cause here i can buy whatever i need. And if i was going to JA for only a couple days i could do it then too cause 3 oz. would be nuff - but not for anything over a week.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 10-24-2011 at 03:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerryg123 View Post
    OK, i am booked for 11 nights this coming reach beginning in early January, and considering I'll be moving around a bit with the possibility of a total of three hotels,[/I]
    First, try to see how much of this you can get in a carry on. However, packing might not be the challenge but repacking. Most of my trips involve multiple stays. I have yet to get things as nicely in the suitcase after leaving home, repacking at the last minute, and after having a few drinks. If you go light then you might spend the saved time repacking or leaving things that grew from water and dirt.

Good Luck!
    IREE....JAMAICAN BORN AND BRED

User Info Menu

nah, most of the time I leave my snorkel set behind as a tip or perhaps a gift to a fellow tourist, plus i use lose something along the way .... though i do tend to get a bit sticky-fingered with hotel towels, lol .... I think I am just going to bring a suitcase plus the carry-on, it's nice to have a lot of stuff -- plus this way, i can bring liquids, scissors, lighters, all the little essentials .... last time, i arrived late at night, and the check in was FAST FAST FAST ... i'm hoping it's the same deal this reach.

User Info Menu

im in the middle of an 8 day trip and all i used was a likkle rolling suitcase and a big camera bag and big fanny pack. i slid the laptop into the back pocket of the suitcase. i guess im technically in violation of the carry on thing but ive never been called for it. i also just bungee corded the swim fins to the side of the suitcase and they fit right in the overhead.

User Info Menu

Sparky, you could be onto something .... never considered a bungee chord .... Now I am still pondering this one ....

User Info Menu

"i do tend to get a bit sticky-fingered with hotel towels, lol ...."

Ya ever wonder why hotels are consistantly short on face cloths & hand towels?....well, THAT'S why!

User Info Menu

Fins don't take THAT much space. They're mostly flat, pack some socks or whatever in the foot part.

User Info Menu

Get a Kindle!

User Info Menu

I have found MBJ to be one of the fastest airports to get luggage. Almost never wait for it or not long after passing through customs.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

"i slid the laptop into the back pocket of the suitcase. i guess im technically in violation of the carry on thing but ive never been called for it" - no you're not, as long as the laptop is IN the suitcase and you are not bungeeing an entire laptop case onto the suitcase then taking it apart and hogging overhead bin space.

Can ya tell...one of my pet peeves are the OH bin hogs.

I agree with PGW - and I've been to A LOT of airports. MoBay is one of the fastest, DFW absolutely the slowest.