Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To carry on or not to carry on? That is the question .....

User Info Menu

To carry on or not to carry on? That is the question .....

OK, i am booked for 11 nights this coming reach beginning in early January, and considering I'll be moving around a bit with the possibility of a total of three hotels, I am wondering whether or not to pack luggage or squeeze everything into a carry-on, which is going to be close close close.

Keeping in mind that I generally wear a bathing suit, t-shirt or button-down shirt and slip-ons about 90 percent of the time (like most American males in Negril), here are the things besides clothes I MUST have:

Snorkel set

Lap top

BIG towel (unless I go AI, which I am not)

Two pairs of shoes (tennis shoes and slip-ons, they're hard to pack)

fanny pack (I am such a tourist)

Two or three books

Sundries

Camera

CD head set

..... I hate waiting for ANYTHING, including luggage, so going carry-on-only is a big bonus .... last time, I did 16 nights with a BIG suitcase plus a carry-on, and I needed it all!

User Info Menu

If you can only take 1 small carry on considering you needed a BIG suitcase last time I am not sure you will fit everything in.I would take the suitcase and just deal with the wait make yourself a cocktail and just sit back relax and wait

User Info Menu

Remember you are only allowed a "suitcase" - that being a SMALL suitcase and a "personal item", that being perhaps a laptop case when you carry luggage on any airplane. In packing remember to be considerate of the other passengers when it comes to overhead space and that the "personal item", i.e, the laptop case, goes under the seat in front of you.

That said, I used to do 3 weeks in 2 carry-on bags but there was no laptop involved back then.

User Info Menu

What About your liquid stuff....ie: Sun screen, lotion, shampoo, toothpaste, contact solution if necessary etc

User Info Menu

I only carry on. I have a wheeled carry on size suitcase and I carry a laptop backpack which holds my laptop, camera, phones, books, sundries, etc. The carry on suitcase goes overhead and the backpack goes under the seat in front of me.

I have my liquids in 3oz containers and pack them in a ziploc. Everything is available in that size - bug spray, sunblock, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, toothpaste, etc. Not a problem. And if i need more of anything i can obviously buy it there.

If I run out of clean clothes i either get them washed by hotel staff or do it myself by hand.

Last trips have been 2+ weeks and I still brought home stuff i didn't use or wear.

Not waiting for luggage is AWESOME.

User Info Menu

wow that is crazy cool

User Info Menu

My Thanksgiving trip will be the first time I do carry on only - thankfully it's just 2 travel days plus 3 beach days, otherwise I would NEVER be able to do it.

Good luck with getting all of that in a carry on and the only thing I can think of right now is wear the sneakers and pack the slip-ons.

User Info Menu

Hey Gerry....I like to travel light myself, so any warmer clothes I may need, I wear on the plane...jeans, walking shoes, socks, hoodie etc. Carry your laptop as your personal item.
    In your carry on suitcase, towel, snorkel, mask, ( I would pass on bringing the fins, they take up too much room and aren't really a necessity imo) bathing suits and some shirts. Put your camera inside your fanny pack, make use of every inch. Roll your clothes. Anything else you can get there. Have a great time.

User Info Menu

gotta have the fins ....

User Info Menu

I agree! Carry-on is really the best way to go. No waiting time for luggage is great but most importantly... your luggage arrives with you! Guaranteed!
    Standing there in a hot stuffy terminal watching bags on a conveyor belt for an hour... then realizing your luggage is officially MISSING...Didn't make it onto the second plane during the layover."Give us your number and we'll contact you when we locate it"
    Worst feeling in the world!
    Went through that..
    Twice
    Carpe Diem