Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Royal Palms Reserve/Preserve?

User Info Menu

Question Royal Palms Reserve/Preserve?

Hi,

Anyone know anything about this place? I've seen some posts but everyone says it is closed but you can still get in. Looks like it'd be a cool place to visit.

Any info out there?

Thanks..

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

Re: Royal Palms Reserve/Preserve?

Thanks, CM! I, too, have often wondered about this place. Apparently it's the only place you can see the Royal West Indian Palm (I think that's it ...). Everyone tells me it's closed .... and then I see posts on it. I would love to go. Glad you put this out there! Will follow behind you in finding out!

User Info Menu

Went there many years ago. Very nice place with wooden walkways through the morass. Many of the taxi drivers didn't know where it was. Took awhile to find one. Place was closed but a caretaker met us and let us in. Glad I went. Had the whole place to ourselves. Hard to believe its not open to the public or better known . Hope this helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wrbagman View Post
    Went there many years ago. Very nice place with wooden walkways through the morass. Many of the taxi drivers didn't know where it was. Took awhile to find one. Place was closed but a caretaker met us and let us in. Glad I went. Had the whole place to ourselves. Hard to believe its not open to the public or better known . Hope this helps
    Yeah...it really is too bad it hasn't been maintained and kept open for the public.
    If someone does get in there the same as wrbagman...please be careful...it's a wooden walkway and it truly isn't being maintained.

User Info Menu

Took a trip up there in 2015 in a fishing boat up the Negril River. Nice way to visit as you see a lot of plant and wildlife on the way. It was not open but a caretaker took us around. I was there about 13 years ago when it was operating. Climbing up the observation tower and looking over the landscape was a great experience.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

We found it driving on our own and had the place to ourselves, too. It was still officially open. Sad waste of a beautiful and educational natural resource.

Thanks for the reminder of the boat approach, Accompong. I'll have to add that to our "To Do" list next reach.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

went up the river with Famous Vincent and Papamark and Laura ten years ago......$20 each
    very kool place however it was closed...they should open up the place to the public........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    went up the river with Famous Vincent and Papamark and Laura ten years ago......$20 each
    very kool place however it was closed...they should open up the place to the public........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Marko. When I was there in 2003, I was working on an article for The Guardian so I had a VIP tour and a sit-down interview with the NEPT people who managed the property. I was told that the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica owned the property and were planning a peat mining project that didn't pass the environmental testing required to push the project forward. They also told me that the money it took to make it tourist-friendly (i.e. bathrooms, walkways, guides etc.) coupled with the lack of interest by paying tourists was making it unsustainable so I am not surprised that it finally just closed down. You can't just open up the place and not provide security, maintenance etc. without enough people willing to go out there and pay for using the facilities. There is a long list of places in Jamaica who have suffered a similar fate of being under-supported by tourists.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.