Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shanty Town

User Info Menu

Shanty Town

I'm going to start a new thread so as not to mash up Rocknrollfarmer's trip report...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    So, this "Shantytown" has generated quite a bit of controversy on the Trip Advisor Forums. Is this really the name of the community or is it a name made up by Pub Crawl patrons? I have not been there on the tour, but have seen pictures and to me it looks no different than, say, Red Ground or Sheffield. Seems to me that maybe some participants of the One Love Bus stopped at this bar (which is actually called Bridgette's) and described the area as a "Shantytown" in a TA review. From there, other reviewers and pub crawlers just ran with it. I would be interested to hear how this community is described locally, from Rob or others that stay in Negril long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    I saw that controversy on TA too, but didn't want to get "attacked" for chiming in We've been on the pub crawl for the past 4 years. On our second and third trips, the bus went to "Shantytown", which is actually what Lenbert called it. I'm pretty sure that it's just a community nearby Negril, similar to the Red Ground neighborhood and not really named Shantytown. But I could not tell you exactly where we were. The first time we went it was a little chaotic and I think a lot of the pub crawlers were shocked at what they saw outside of the tourist areas or AI that they were used to...

User Info Menu

Animals in Negril

ok... where is this place?

..... no dont tell me...

User Info Menu

Re: Shanty Town

I went over and read most of the messages on TA...

There seems to be a description of two different locations...first one being in the area of Love Lane/Divers Village...currently being called Shanty Town by a few visitors via Lenbert's colourful description of the area using Bob Marley's lyrics, "shanty town" from "Reaction" and Desmond Dekker's "Shanty Town". It's a mix of wooden buildings, a small amount of concrete buildings and backs closely to Seastar Lane.
    The other area is past Bella Donna's...up Summerset Road. There's a bar and Lenbert's own property up a steep hill...it offers an amazing sea view up there.

I've experienced many versions of this bus ride, having been on it from the first day Rob and Lenbert started the Love Bus and the last time being the end of January of this year. I've seen people not wanting to get off the bus for a variety of reasons...some thought it was a shopping trip, were surprised people would be drinking and were waiting to get back quick, some wanted to remain in the air conditioning, some waited for fancier bars and some were straight up truly nervous.

Lenbert started taking people into these smaller areas as some visitors would ask to see the "real Negril" and had items they wanted to give to the children, etc. He never thought anyone would be uncomfortable, as this is where he's lived for a very long time and knows the families intimately.
    Unfortunately for some, this side of Negril can be a bit too intense/overwhelming...but personally I think Lenbert does a terrific job making people feel as comfortable as possible. You get to interact with some nice people and patronise a couple of the smaller bars that truly don't see a lot of business.

That's all I have on this topic for now.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I never link but thanks. I will give homage to your time. Ta.

User Info Menu

Ok, hear is the real deal...been on this bus over 15 times, 3-4 times a year the last 3 year alone...I have been to the so called "shanty town"...and the reason people are calling it that is because that is what lenbert calls it...his exact words...been there 3 times...the place is the one bnewb described first....i have also been to his house several times as a guest, and he does not call the bar on that lane shanty town, just the one that butts up to seastar through the bush...
    2009 trip http://www.negril.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi?pg=prev&topic=196641&page=272185

2010 halloween---no TR

trip 2012
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/5589-Trip-report-sept-1-14-including-pelicanbar-catcha-legends-samsara-pubcrawl-etc

trip 2013
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/8323-gettin-my-groove-on-quot-TRIP-report-quot-boardie-bash-style-april21-may11-2013

.trip 2014
    http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/11962-Trip-report-Boardie-Bash-2014-best-trip-yet

User Info Menu

I agree groove16. I've been on the bus probably 9 times, {helping the groovy bus driver with the tunes for 5 years, since about the start. Now, people are requesting more Prince. RIP. Thank you very much.} Yeah, that's what Lenbert calls that area by love lane. Been to his house numerous times as a guest also. I have a friend Paul, who lives in Shantytown on top road in Little London. It's a mix of wooden buildings too. Peace.

Administrator

User Info Menu

This thread was started because of the incorrect comments posted on TripAdvisor. I called Lenbert today and told him about TA and asked his permission to set the record straight. The "real deal" is that Lenbert, Lisa and I came up with the idea of the One Love Bus Pub Crawl in 2011 and we originally webcast LIVE from the moving bus until it became so popular that there was no more room on the bus.

We have been helping with the pub crawl ever since it started. Bnewb cleared up the confusion that has been posted on TA in her original post. She even added more detail to correct misconceptions on TA. That site needs help... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Name:  20160427_170704.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  98.4 KB

I believe this is one of the bars in "shanty town".
    Last edited by HarryS; 03-16-2017 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Name:  20160427_165610.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  97.3 KB