Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Animals in Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Shanty Town

Can I please chime in just on what was said about the dogs and cats. I have had a learned experience big time in travels and still suffer every time I see these lovely animals are treated so differently in my world. I cannot fathom how they are so welcoming and loving with their plight; they just enjoy a warm pet if that is all you have. The are gentle and approachable (of course with exceptions). Always be aware as a traveller as it can be risky and stupid folly is no good. Having said that … Miss Rusty has a name and still finds me as I walk in the west end. It is a beautiful thing to have a name and receive love.

User Info Menu

Re: Shanty Town

can i have another dog?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Animals in Negril

Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    ...I am always shocked at how many tourists get down with the dogs and cats, petting them and kissing them on the pub crawl - eek! I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm also not a cat or dog lover either. Actually, I prefer the dogs and cats of Ja because they aren't "Americanized" and they leave me alone LOL!
    To not take away from the Shanty Town thread, I am moving the animal posts in that thread to this new thread. Please keep the focus on animals in Negri. Thank you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Animals in Negril

Thank you Rob. I expected and makes perfect sense.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if you mean to keep the focus on animals here in this thread … or focus on the plight of same in Negril. I'm not getting on my soapbox but I sure recognize for animal lovers, it is a different reality and sometimes hurts. It is what it is. It hurts even for me to sound so casual.

I admire those that bring home street dogs from all over the world to enjoy a better life. It is a beautiful thing… but it perpetuates.

My Canadian friend, JDd above, you can have another dog. I think you should name a dog in Negril and pay to have him fixed. I will follow … apparently it's easier to fix the males lol!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean to keep the focus on animals here in this thread … or focus on the plight of same in Negril. I'm not getting on my soapbox but I sure recognize for animal lovers, it is a different reality and sometimes hurts. It is what it is. It hurts even for me to sound so casual.

I admire those that bring home street dogs from all over the world to enjoy a better life. It is a beautiful thing… but it perpetuates.

My Canadian friend, JDd above, you can have another dog. I think you should name a dog in Negril and pay to have him fixed. I will follow … apparently it's easier to fix the males lol!!
    There are things you can do to help if you are so impassioned for our furry friends. Debbie Lightheart is still hosting spay and neuter clinics, and help is much appreciated if you can set aside a half day. There is always a need for leashes and collars, which you can get for cheap at a dollar store. Or if you just want to give some money to help fund the clinics you can do that as well. You can find her on Facebook if you do not know who Debbie is. My wife is an RVT and has found great joy volunteering her time and skills to help out the local folks with their pets. I hung out for a bit and can say that the local folks are thrilled for the support given.

User Info Menu

Thanks Booger I'm all over it. Last visit I had a call out to help the orphanage that burned down and was pleased to bring needed items from Canada.

I will absolutely make myself available to volunteer when I'm there. I will make contact and see what is practical to bring … leashes and collars sounds a good start. You made my day and I'm very thankful that you chimed in and let me know where it can count.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Thanks Booger I'm all over it. Last visit I had a call out to help the orphanage that burned down and was pleased to bring needed items from Canada.

I will absolutely make myself available to volunteer when I'm there. I will make contact and see what is practical to bring … leashes and collars sounds a good start. You made my day and I'm very thankful that you chimed in and let me know where it can count.
    Awesome!! And Carrie, you just made my day as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    There are things you can do to help if you are so impassioned for our furry friends. Debbie Lightheart is still hosting spay and neuter clinics, and help is much appreciated if you can set aside a half day. There is always a need for leashes and collars, which you can get for cheap at a dollar store. Or if you just want to give some money to help fund the clinics you can do that as well. You can find her on Facebook if you do not know who Debbie is. My wife is an RVT and has found great joy volunteering her time and skills to help out the local folks with their pets. I hung out for a bit and can say that the local folks are thrilled for the support given.
    It's great to hear about visitors helping out with the dogs and cats through education and donation! Giving and sharing so is rewarding in many ways. We always bring school supplies, activity books, flash cards, dry erase markers, reading glasses and other misc items with us and take them to a school in Sheffield while we're there. The teachers are always appreciative and the kids love singing and chatting with us for a little bit during their day. So you guys can help with the animals and we'll help take care of the kids - works for me

User Info Menu

So nice and thoughtful of you agregory.