Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: An experience similar to Manda's

User Info Menu

An experience similar to Manda's

After reading Manda's WONDERFUL trip report, I realized that we have had similar experiences. We were both accused of being "mules".

My adventure started in August 2011 at MBJ, going to board the plane to go home, they swabbed my carry on with a little white piece of paper and said it tested positive for cocaine. I had no idea how this could have happened as I don't do that. Wouldn't let me board and pulled my suitcase off the plane. Took me downstairs to the little police office (I wouldn't call it a jail) at Sangster. Searched my bags, questioned me, funny though they never patted me down. They told me that they thought I was a drug mule and they were going to give me a drug test. If I tested positive for cocaine, they were going to take me to the hospital and x-ray me to make sure I didn't eat it. So, I had to pee in a cup in front of a strange woman. Needless to say, I passed the drug test and they let me go. Luckily, I got on the next flight, missed my connection but finally made it home at 2 AM (was supposed to be home at 7:00PM).

Manda's story made me think "How many other people does this happen to?". The security guard with me said that those swabs are highly sensitive. For instance, if the taxi driver or a person at your hotel was doing cocaine and they touch your bag and they are sweating it will come through their pores onto your suitcase. She also said that the USA is the only country that requires the swabbing of bags.

But something else didn't add up. When I went through immigration, that woman looked at my passport for a LONG TIME. This had been my 11th trip to JA and I think I might have set off a red flag.

I'm not sure why it happened, just a heads up for those that travel to JA. Be careful. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous about my upcoming trip. It was definitely a scary situation, all I could think was "Locked up, Abroad". That would suck.

User Info Menu

My carry-on gets searched pretty much every time we go to JA....ends up getting searched thoroughly and "swabbed". Not sure what they pick up on it but the only time I ever use that knap-sack is to go to Jamaica and all it ever has in it is my camera, my coat and some Pringles. Funny, my husband's carry-on always sails right though

User Info Menu

i saw the dogs alert in miami - over a piece of rum cake

User Info Menu

I saw the dogs alert once in Miami too.....they found a beef patty someone had packed in their suitcase.....I laughed...but hell I understand....those are GOOD!!!!!!

mmmmmm but my favorite is Cheese Patty! yum
    lol

User Info Menu

wow, i have NEVER been questioned, searched, nothing .... i guess i look so innocent!

User Info Menu

Cool

The dogs always run right by me, probably because I smell like cat. hahahahahahahahahaha

User Info Menu

I think it's a great thread and maybe it will shed some light on how often this happens.

I knew when I left that the chance of being hassled because I was solo young white female was high but I never thought it would
    get to the intensity that it did. I can only IMAGINE what is going to happen the next time I go, but I'll take my chances.

I will however do laundry before I leave Jamaica next time and make sure that my hands are thoroughly scrubbed down
    before I get on the plane and then again before I get off the plane.

The K9 Officer that searched my bags drug tested me threatened me didnt seem to mind about the 2 water bottles of Rum
    packed and undeclared in my suitcase lol Compliments of the Riu. The strange thing is he didnt go through each article
    of clothing and the actual search aside from unzipping the inner lining was pretty poor in regards to my suitcase. But
    he went through my camera my phone and was insistent that I was harboring Cocaine in more intimate locations.

I only just turned 30 and already people were calling me a mule hahaha

User Info Menu

Hubby and I went across the border this weekend to visit his brother. We were going to wait until after we got back from our Negril trip in 10 days. I can see now why hubby decided to was better to go across before our trip rather than after - they are so suspicious and look for all kinds of reasons to detain you.

User Info Menu

A few years ago my husband and I left the kids with Grandma for a trip to Jamaica (first and last time, lol). My husband decided to bring his guitar in its case for us to listen to him play. We landed, I think, in Charlotte coming home and our luggage was the last to come down the luggage thingy. This was when the handlers were on strike or something and you needed to collect your bags to take to the next connecting flight and recheck them. We waited and waited with another backpacking young couple when they finally came down. We no sooner picked them up then security came over to us and the young couple to have us checked. They thoroughly went through our bags (dirty clothes and all) along with unwrapping some shells we had carefully wrapped up. They went through the guitar case thoroughly, too. All the while they told us their dogs sniffed something (no dog in sight) and were asking questions about where we were and if were asked to carry anything for anyone, did we smoke, etc. I don't remember being patted down but they do that when you board the plane initially. I was very shook up and trying not to act nervous as that may be a bad thing, lol. I believe they held our luggage along with that other couple's till the end to see who would pick them up.

We didn't miss our connecting flight, thank goodness. That was the only time this happened when we didn't have the kids with us.

User Info Menu

Almost every single trip I get searched it is always me.BEEP BEEP BEEP step to the side madam.
    Once it was one of my children.One of our cases always gets searched and I always get asked questions I think I would absolutely flip if they dared try to strip search me especially given the fact that I do not smoke I do not take drugs and a mules pay would not even cover my families airfare alone never mind anything else so what would be the point?
    As well as the consequences
    Glad I did my washing before I left Jamaica though after I saw the way they handled my underwear and inspected it in full view of the airport
    I start to relax the second I am on the ground OUTSIDE of Montego bay airport
    And this trip which will take me 20 hrs of travelling time with three children and 10 pieces of luggage and no doubt being searched along the way DARE let that baggage guy outside the airport start throwing all my luggage around into random taxis that I do not want to get in!I am ready for you this year mister!